Help I found a baby fry in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgiamay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I’m completely new to the aquarium world and have a now established community tank, I added a yoyoloach to my tank last week and noticed it seemed to be nesting but read up they didn’t bread often so dismissed the idea quickly, I’ve now come to do a water change and found a fry, my yoyoloach has been “playing dead in its cosy hide out and haven’t found any more, I’ve had to make a make shift separater to give it a better chance but I have no clue if it is a yo-yo or how to care for fry, HELP!

Attachments

• 64AD3978-B435-4B10-8744-074E245453D3.jpg
    64AD3978-B435-4B10-8744-074E245453D3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 27
What other type of fish do you have in the tank? Right now I have a single fry housed in a hospital tank box on the inside of my tank with some gravel and a small plastic plant. I would separate the fry (if possible) so it doesn't get eaten or sucked up by the filter. I will also be easier to feed it as they need to eat very small flakes or brine shrimp.

Maybe a Dalmatian Molly fry?

It may have been scooped up with other fish when you bought plants or fish???

You can get Hikari First Bites for babies, or use a high quality flake. It is a fish snack size fish so beware.

You can separate the fry in a breeder box, feed a teeny tiny amount, think about the size of it's eye as a food serving amount, but babies need to eat much more often like human babies do.

You can use a Fluval Edge prefilter sponge if you have a HOB filter so it won't get sucked up easily in the intake, if it isn't separated.

You can add plants floating in the top of the tank for hiding space if not separating.

Congrats!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's not a baby loach. It looks like a baby livebearer (molly or platy). You can feed it on crushed up flake food, newly hatched (baby) brineshrimp and microworms.

---------------------

How long has the tank been set up for?

Have you cycled the filter (let it develop the good bacteria that keeps the water clean)?

If the tank has only been set up for a short time (less than 6 weeks), you might be doing a fish in cycle. This simply means there are fish in the tank while the filter bacteria develop. If this is the case, you should reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change 4-8 hours after feeding. You should also monitor ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day there is a reading above 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If the tank and filter have been cycled (takes around 6 weeks), then you can feed every day and do a water change and gravel clean once a week.

---------------------

Regarding the loach. They are social fish that need to be kept in groups of at least 6, preferably more. They are matriarchal a a big female will rule the group with smaller males and females beside her. They need a tank that is at least 3 foot long and should not be kept with other bottom dwelling fishes like Corydoras catfish. They like to shelter during the day and come out at night.

If the aquarium has cycled, then add some more loaches.
If it hasn't cycled, wait until it has finished developing the beneficial filter bacteria and then add some more loaches.

Back
Top Bottom