help im new and know nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fataldart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello my name is sarah i have an aquarium but know nothing at all about fish i just bought it about a year ago because i thought they look nice and are relaxing quite a few guppies have bread in my tank but then got eaten because i didnt know wot type of fish to put togeather but i seem to have an ok set up now as theese ones have been togeather for around 6 months i have 2 cray fish and i have just noticed the female is carrying eggs i have a plek 3 guarmies a male siamese fighter a gold fish and one i call cyril as i dnt know what it is lol:p it is sort of a fantailed gold fish but it is black with bulging eyes i also have 2 neon tetras in there we did have 16 but the rest got eaten but these seem to know how to get out of the way :rolleyes: i have an 80 litre tropical tank i think :splat:as i said i dnt know anything about them but am getting more interested now my fish have started lasting if anyone can help i would be greatfull especially with the cray fish eggs thanks

Well, you need to get another 80 liter tank. for the goldfish, as they poop a lot. The guppies are fine with the neons, but the gourami needs it's own 120 liter tank so it doesn't eat anybody. the crayfish should be with the gourami, since they are helping the gourami eat your fish. The Siamese fighter would be better in it's own maybe 40 liter, but could be in the tank with the guppies and neons. now, I need you to answer a few questions for me.

1. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

2. Do you have a filter and a heater on your tank?

3. If you know about the nitrogen cycle, do you have a liquid test kit so you can give us your water parameters?

I would separate the male from female guppies first so u don't have anymore eggs/babies. The males are usually more colorful with longer tails. Sounds like you're going to need more than two tanks........good luck

Or just put something in there that eats the babies, since the females can hold sperm for up to 3 months.

hello thanx answers below

1 i know nothing about nitrgen

2 i have a filter and a heater

3 i have no liquid test kit

the remaining fish in my tank have been togeather for about 6 months and dont have any other tank to put them in at the moment it is the cray fish i need most help with she is carrying eggs and has attacked the male severly cutting off his eye claw and both feelers need to know what to do and what to do with the fry when hatched please

First off, search the nitrogen cycle on this forum or look up, cycling for dummies. Go out and buy the API freshwater master kit, which is about 32 American bucks ASAP. While there, get a 40 liter and use that for a breeder. Put the female crayfish in there after cycling, and let the babies hatch. Then you should look into selling the babies to help you save for that 120 liter that your going to need for the gourami and male crayfish, and the 80 liter for the goldfish. I'm glad you have a filter, but don't replace the cartridges. Just wash them in a bucket of tank water instead. And look into getting a second heater, in case the first one goes out. When your guppies breed, just leave them in the 80 liter, and whatever happens is just gonna have to happen for now. Later, you can get into breeding, but let's concentrate on the fish you already have. Once separated from the more dangerous fish, you'll need to get four to six more neons, to have a solid school. The guppies will continue to breed unless you get something that can eat the fry, or you separate the males from the females. The goldfish don't really need a heater, since they aren't tropical fish. The gourami should be fine with the crayfish, but be prepared to turn that 40 liter into a crayfish tank in case the crayfish turn on the gourami, or vise versa. I know this seems like a lot, but this hobby can be very rewarding! Good luck, and we'll walk you through it!

I would seperate male and female of the same species, so the crayfish with eggs doesn't hurt the male, and so there is no more babies. When the baby crayfish hatch, move all the other species (including the parent crayfish) out of that tank.

Hi there!
I have goldfish (my absolute FAVE) and guppies, too! I just woke up after a LONG night - don't even get me started - so I'm not really in a right mind to help much, but here is what I can say:

I would separate the guppies, too. I have male guppies together, and there are no problems, beside the occasional tiff. Male guppies have the gonopodium, which is really easy to see (do a google image search, you'll see what I'm talking about).

Also, goldies, especially fancies (I think you have a black moor?), need a special tank of their own. They love cooler water and lots of veggies, and tropicals, like your other fish love warmer water and lots of protein. Fancies also get picked on a lot because they're slower and have those gorgeous long tails.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Goldfish. They're hard to take care of correctly. They create a lot of waste, need constant care, and require a fresh diet, but treat 'em right and they'll be the best fish you ever have.

It's totally cool you know nothing. Neither did I when I decided I wanted fish of my own. Just do a bunch of research. But be careful, you'll become a fish addict!

Welcome to the site, btw. The people here are cool, and there's a TON of info and experts that are more than willing to help with whatever problems you have.

I think I'm going back to sleep. Night! <3

Welcome to AA.
In the beginning none of use knew anything about fish. Some of use were smarter than others and asked questions first (NOT ME OF COURSE) then got their tanks and fish. But many of us did it just like you. The "I've done this, now what" method.
Good luck with separating all those fish that don't belong together. I wish I could be more help but I don't know much about the fish you have.
Hang in there though, everyone here on AA will be a great help.

Back
Top Bottom