help with biofilm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zingo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my whisper exterior power filter has lost its biofilm. any ideas on how to re-establish this? my tank has been running along quite well for many years, but all the sudden i'm having all kinds of problems due to the lack of biofilm in my filter.

zingo said:
my whisper exterior power filter has lost its biofilm. any ideas on how to re-establish this? my tank has been running along quite well for many years, but all the sudden i'm having all kinds of problems due to the lack of biofilm in my filter.

Hi and welcome!
Are you talking about the beneficial bacteria in the filter (bio filtration)?
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate an pH?
What size tank?
What fish do you have and how many?
How often are you doing water changes and how much?
Have you changed anything recently? New fish, filter media changed, new substrate?

This is a 30 gallon tank which ahs been runnig for several years. I've had a few fish die lately (my favorite angel fish), so all i have is 6 cherry barbs and a cory. The pH is 7.0, and every thing else tests well. I'm sure that the problems i'm having with my tank is the lack of bio-film on my filter.

zingo said:
This is a 30 gallon tank which ahs been runnig for several years. I've had a few fish die lately (my favorite angel fish), so all i have is 6 cherry barbs and a cory. The pH is 7.0, and every thing else tests well. I'm sure that the problems i'm having with my tank is the lack of bio-film on my filter.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Is your tank naturally pH 7? Or do you chemically alter it?
Do you know the exact reading is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Have you changed, or washed in tap water, your filter media?
The bacteria in your filter will grow to handle the amount of fish you have in your tank but if it has been wiped out it will take time to recolonize the filter.
Do you use a dechlorinator/conditioner!

The more info you can give the more it will help us find out what's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom