Here, fishy fishy fishy.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonsparks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, hello!

I joined the forum to get great advice about starting up my tank (or maybe tanks).

I recently acquired a 90 gallon tank (at least I think its 90 gallons) used from a friend of my husband that came with a penguin biowheel filter (that I may have to replace), gravel, and rocks, and a master test kit (among other accessories). I have set up the tank and filled it with water, but don't plan on getting fish for a few weeks yet. Although I didn't know about proper cycling until reading about it on this site, I did know enough to know that dumping fish into a new tank is a bad idea! (whew, not a complete idiot!)

Anyway, I don't know what kind of fish I want to get yet - I do like catfish, so probably one of those, anyway.... but I plan on doing lots of research before acquiring fish either way.

I also have a 30 gal. tall tank - currently empty, because its so tall regular filters won't filter the water - I need to either get a longer tube or an undergravel filter before starting it up - I had considered transforming it into a terrarium for a lizard, but since I don't do so well with crickets, maybe I will make it a QT tank instead. Quick question - how does one make a QT tank attractive with no fish in it? Or maybe I'll get a betta for in there...

Anyway, I'm open to lots of advice from you fish enthusiasts! I plan on reading lots of the existing posts to get more info, but any suggestions or advice is welcome!

Thanks.

welcometoaa.gif

First, find out how old the test kit is. That will be an important piece of equipment as you go thru the cycle, so make sure it is good. Get a notebook of some sort, and keep a record of your test results, and what size water changes you do. Look into getting a Python for water changes...save your back and your sanity! Did this tank come with a sturdy stand?

Look into fishless cycling, it is so much easier and much more humane as well. While it is cycling, you can decide what kind of fish you want.

My QT tank has a few plastic plants siliconed to the bare bottom. I sometimes use a single layer of those flattish glass marbles, if I anticipate visitors and want it to look nice. If the tank is empty, I drain it and cover it with a quilt...instant quilt rack! (sort of)

Thank you. I have replaced the text kit - and purchased a canister filter. I also have a python - that was the first thing i bought! I hate changing water using a bucket - so messy!

Back
Top Bottom