Hey all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new here of course and my wife and I are going for a colorful freshwater tank.
This is what we have so far:

46 gallon long
3 Julii Corry Cats
1 Albino Bristle Nose Pleco
1 plain old Pleco
3 Australian Rainbows
3 Dwarf Gouramis
2 decent sized plants and some underwater bamboo.
Natural river rock substrate.

Let me know what you think!
I'm thinking of some glass cats next (I know there isnt much color there but they're fun). Also I'm thinking of some inverts too... maybe clams?

Thoughts and comments?

Hello and welcome to AA! Glad you found us here are you planning a larger tank in the very near future otherwise I would recommend rehoming the common pleco as they can grow over a foot long your bristle nose pleco will be just fine reaching only 6-7 inches also I would raise the school of rainbows and cories to 6 how old is your tank

Hello and welcome to AA! Glad you found us here are you planning a larger tank in the very near future otherwise I would recommend rehoming the common pleco as they can grow over a foot long your bristle nose pleco will be just fine reaching only 6-7 inches also I would raise the school of rainbows and cories to 6 how old is your tank

Thank you!

Yeah we're looking forward to the pleco getting huge. I was planning on a larger tank in about a year or so but how bad would it be to have him full grown in a smaller tank? I figured he'd be eating cucumber like no tomorrow by the time he's that big. He's about 4 inches at the moment.

Tank is about two weeks old. I know I did it fast... I'm keeping a close eye on amonia and nitrate with prime plus amonia comes prepackaged with our city water... it's purchased pure water from here on out...

I was planning on increasing the number of rainbows but I would like even more color. Would they still school if I mixed varieties?

Bristle Nose is full grown from my old tank; same is true of the 3 corys. And you don't have to ask me twice to get more of those. Done and done. Those guys are awesome. So much playfulness when the lights go out.

Thank you!

Yeah we're looking forward to the pleco getting huge. I was planning on a larger tank in about a year or so but how bad would it be to have him full grown in a smaller tank? I figured he'd be eating cucumber like no tomorrow by the time he's that big. He's about 4 inches at the moment.

Tank is about two weeks old. I know I did it fast... I'm keeping a close eye on amonia and nitrate with prime plus amonia comes prepackaged with our city water... it's purchased pure water from here on out...

I was planning on increasing the number of rainbows but I would like even more color. Would they still school if I mixed varieties?

Bristle Nose is full grown from my old tank; same is true of the 3 corys. And you don't have to ask me twice to get more of those. Done and done. Those guys are awesome. So much playfulness when the lights go out.

Stunting can occur which mean he would stop growing externally but not internally meaning the organs keep growing which results in a much shorter life span basically a very slow and painful death it would be cheaper in the long run to use just tap with prime prime will lock ammonia for a short time besides once your bb (beneficial bacteria) colony is fully established it shouldn't matter it'll get processed fairly quickly you could look into an ro unit if need be ammonia and nitrites I'd keep your eye on more than the nitrates also don't add anything else at this moment rehoming of the common pleco should be first thing to do unless you get a 180g tank very soon for rainbows I don't have much advice on those fish since I've never kept em before I've just done lots of research on them lol if you have access to established media I'd get that in your filter right away to help speed up the cycle

Stunting can occur which mean he would stop growing externally but not internally meaning the organs keep growing which results in a much shorter life span basically a very slow and painful death it would be cheaper in the long run to use just tap with prime prime will lock ammonia for a short time besides once your bb (beneficial bacteria) colony is fully established it shouldn't matter it'll get processed fairly quickly you could look into an ro unit if need be ammonia and nitrites I'd keep your eye on more than the nitrates also don't add anything else at this moment rehoming of the common pleco should be first thing to do unless you get a 180g tank very soon for rainbows I don't have much advice on those fish since I've never kept em before I've just done lots of research on them lol if you have access to established media I'd get that in your filter right away to help speed up the cycle

I hear all that.
Do you think he'll really get stunted/how soon?
Its not a typical bowed 46 gallon its a long one. It's 48 inches long. (48x12x24 I'm pretry sure)

Make that a 50 gallon tank. 48x20x12.

I hear all that.
Do you think he'll really get stunted/how soon?
Its not a typical bowed 46 gallon its a long one. It's 48 inches long. (48x12x24 I'm pretry sure)

Make that a 50 gallon tank. 48x20x12.

I'm not sure how but eventually yes if left too long in to small of conditions post a couple tanks to help make sure its a common pleco might try starting a thread in freshwater general discussion for more help

Back
Top Bottom