Hey everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex93

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I'm new to owning aquatic fish and have no idea what am going lol I though it just be the same as owning goldfish but with warm water lol I found out the hard way that you can't put certain fish together ( r.i.p guppys :( ) so can people please let me no some of the basics that I need to no what things I need to have in my tank and what fish to add to my tank so far I have one tank with two Bolivian rams two guppys and a few mollies and a small tank with just a betta fish in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay do just been going frew some message and read some thing about letting the tank cycle and nitro and things, what does all this mean? I set my tank up and got my fish the next day.... That was about 3weeks ago and there all alive ( part from my free guppys my betta got before I found out they can't go tougher ) they all look healthy and the water looks fine :/ are my fishes gunna be ok ?

You should be okay. Rite now the chemicals may be unbalanced (most likley) as things cycle.

Last april I got exited and listened to the petco people without researching... Bought a new aquarium, and after the "sure start" bottle I added my fish after 24 hours... Nothing died in my tank, but later I learned of the stresses I put the fish through until it all worked out. And as of rite now those fish are VERY happy, alive and well fed... So I hope yours have just as much luck as mine did :)

Things you'll want are a good filter, (I replaced the cheap tetra one that came with mine with a Marineland penguin 100 with a biowheel, biiig difference). A quality heater that wont let tank temps flex too much, and a healthy light source if you plan to have live plants.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also look into water test strips or the fluid kit. They will help you understand how your tanks developing.

Thank you will have to get done water testing strips the pet shop told me nothing -_-

Went into petshop near me and they said it unnecessary to test the water do don't sell then -_- but apparently the one just outside my town will test it for me if I take a water sample in so gunna do that thru prob be able to explain to me what the result mean anyway thanks guys :)

If they told you that its unnecessary id never go back there again. Water evaluations are critical to maintaining a healthy tank, and understanding how your fish are affected. I'm sorry they told you that misinformation :-(.

My LSF and Petco both do water samples too, just make sure you ask them for what it says, since usually they try to rush it with "its safe" or "not safe"

Yes and no on testing. I would test once a week but it depends on what I'm interested in. Ammonia and nitrite I rarely test as tank is cycled but done a couple lately for ammonia as using DIY substrate ferts. Once cycled ph (dropping over time) and nitrates (increasing as end part of N cycle) are two to keep an eye. In most cases an extra water change will fix and you don't need to buy anything extra.

Worth testing your tap water used for changes so you have a base line. For example some people have high nitrates naturally in tap water. If funds aren't a problem then a test kit I rank as essential.

They also told me that as long as you have a good filter you don't need to clean the tank out or change the water........ Am gessing this is also wrong, I think they just told me what I wanted to hear to make money I went in and said I wanted an easy pet for my son to look after and learn responsibility they told me aquarium fish are the easiest as only need cleaning about once a year they also told me betta and guppies we're fine together witch upset my son a lot after the betta ate all the guppies :( am glad I got an aquarium but feel so unprepared now

Oh my god those people are horrible!

Yes, they lied to you a lot. They have no responsibility in the fish market and it sounds like they just look forward to you restocking your fish constantly from their poor advice.

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help how I can...

First, a good filter does help a lot. You do need to change the filter media eventually though, I go every two weeks. How fast yours builds up, and your stocking levels may change that though. Also keep in mind I have 32 fish in my tank with four filter media between two dual units, rotating each week what one switches so I don't upset balances in my OCD self... Anyway! Your expirience may differ in that case, when you do switch the filter tear some of your old media off the card and put it in front of your new card (before the card, not after when it flows through to the tank.) This will help spread beneficial bacteria to your new filter media quickly and keep you from breaking your cycle easily. Some filters have things like biowheels or other bio media that make a "home" for bacteria to help in that regard too.

You do need to do water changes, but its really not that bad. Once your tank is established id aim for a 10% water change every week (or every two weeks depending on your flexibility). Petco sells a really easy syphon that hooks up to a bucket very easily. Just shake a little and it starts pulling water out, run it across the gravel (about half the tanks floor each time, try to avoid overcleaning by doing the entire thing) then the next time do the other half. This removes fish waste and extra rotting food. Replacing water is key in maintaining a "healthy" water system for your fish, just be sure to get a conditioner for tap water first.

Bettas and guppies can survive together BUT, it all depends on how territorial your betta is, and how fancy the guppy is. Avoid bright colors or big fins on guppies for roomies. I gave my Betta two snail room mates in his tank.

Don't worry too much about being overwhelmed, community groups are all over to help :)

My filter got three different compartment with sponges in that I took out the other day and washed in boiled water witch am now gessing was a bad idea? Prob be better to wash one a week? I don't have a petco only the one I got my fish from witch don't really seem to have any fish care stuff just tanks and fish and other animals I have plastic plants but read on here they prefer reals ones so was gunna go to the pet shop in the next town next week to get some would that be a bad or good idea seeing as my tank hadn't been cycled ( if this makes sence seeing as I have no idea what in doing )

Wouldnt be too bad, the live plants in my tank when I started turned out okay, just research them to find what will thrive with the lighting you have in your tank. Some like lots of light, some dont.

Three stage filters are good, my 10 runs an aquaclear like that with a sponge/charcoal pack and bio media that can be changed at different times. So you should be okay on that, just do one at a time on seperate schedules so that nothing is "shocked" in your system.

Keep in mind though that as of now your tank is already cycling, you're at a "fish in" cycle so it will level out in time. And if they survived three weeks now for the most part, you should be somewhat okay so far :)

Fake plants mixed with real can be creative too. I attached an example of my 10g betta tank thats a mix of real/fake

Attachments

• 1406406240952.jpg
    1406406240952.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
And with backround

Attachments

• 1406406415481.jpg
    1406406415481.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 101
That looks really good here is my tank ATM I don't have any background so was going to putfake plants all long the back so it's kinda like underwater forest lol my front really bare so was thinking getting a cave and covering it in real plants seeing as my fish have no we're to hide iv attach a pick so if you have any ideas how to make my tank look better it be great to here them :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406406983.048870.jpg

This ones my 55G.

I like your tank, the blue rocks look awesome with your orange and yellow fish in there. If you do go for live plants id look into ones that like high amounts of light for how bright your tank is.

I'm sure your fish will also love you once they get a cave or two, I know my black Molly absolutley loves his rock formation at the left end of my 55. When he's not begging for food or blood worms at the surface :-D.

Attachments

• 1406407249364.jpg
    1406407249364.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1406407269449.jpg
    1406407269449.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1406407586939.jpg
    1406407586939.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 39
Also be aware that live plants may carry in unintentional guests, like pond snails. So be sure to look them over well, otherwise you may need to use the waterbottle trick to remove them if they multiply.

What are bloodworms? And should I be feeding them to my Molly's ( can't you tell am a newbie probably sound really dumb)

Bloodworms are a type of treat food, you can find live, frozen or freezedried in most any pet stores. I prefer freezedried to prevent chances of some pests/contamination.

There's also tubifex worms that mine like to eat too. Take a cube and press it up against the glass and they chow down.

The freezedried bloodworms I use (included picture), you just sprinkle ontop the water, and the fishies go for it :)

Attachments

• 1406408383024.jpg
    1406408383024.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom