Hey Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyGuy333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone!
(sorry for the upcoming novel)

I'm Col and relatively new to fish-keeping.....only been at it for a few months. But I have done a bunch of reading/research. I decided to make a profile and give my experience because this forum helped me A LOT!!! and I wanted to pay it forward.

Multi-tank syndrome hit me hard!
here are my tanks as they stand right now, 11/10/2016

My first tank is a 55 gallon kit I bought from Petsmart. I read that bigger tanks have more stable water parameters, which from my short time in the hobby....seems very true. It has two 75 gallon top fin hang on back filters on it. Out flow if baffled with sponges (so my guppies and betta will not be tossed around), intakes are covered with sponges to protect fry and add surface area for beneficial bacteria, it also has an air pump
7 black kuhli loaches
16 guppies: 2 endler males, 1 cobra male, 3 fancy males...the rest are female. right now I'm suffering a population explosion of young fry (TOO MANY TO COUNT) and I'm about to separate all the males and females....and the young.
1 bristlenose pleco
1 male betta
3 mystery snails: 2 "black" (more brown), one blue
5 corydora:
5 red cherry shrimp

Second tank: 20 gallon long, 30 gallon filter, and two 10 gallon filters
This I bought with the intention to turn it into a hospital/quarantine tank but but I fell in love with some dalmation mollies.....and just became a second tank
6 Dalmatian mollies, 1 male to 5 females
15 neon tetras
1 golden Inca snail
some Malaysian trumpet snails

3rd Tank: 10 gallon
was intended to be my second hospital tank after the 20 gallon succumbed to my lack of willpower.
has instead became the prototype to a Betta sorority tank
4 ghost shrimp
3 female bettas

All tanks are planted, have heaters, digital thermometers, and undergo 30-50 percent water changes 1-2 times a week.

I also have one 5 gallon bowl,one 5 gallon tank, and one 10 gallon tank. All are empty and are strictly for use in an emergency. This is why my 20 gallon has two 10 gallon filters on in addition to its 30 gallon filter, so that if I need to fill them up and use them then I will have 2 cycled filters at my disposal.

Current Plans:
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I purchased during the dollar per gallon sale at Petco. I'm planning on putting my Dalmation mollies and neon tetras into that tank along with the separated male guppies from the 55.
Since my current 20 gallon will then be empty I plan on putting my 3 bettas, if they continue to cohabitate peacefully, into that tank with maybe the possibility of adding some more.
I will then keep that ten gallon as a hospital/quarantine/contingency plan tank, but keep it up and running.

I will probably add some of my learning experiences to this thread. There is definitely a learning curve to this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom