Hey from Vancouver Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uber420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. Name is Mike, I'm from Duncan BC.I have just a couple of tanks as you can see in my profile info. I've kept freshwater tanks for years no problems on that end, main reason for joining here is due to my new purchace of a 29g Biocube.

I want to set-up a small reef style tank. I got the bio cube used and it has a piece cut out of the canopy (for a skimmer I was told). Will I need a skimmer right away or can I wait a month or 2? Wondering what else I should do to the cube before I even put water in (I've seen some mods out there but was wondering what would be recommended) Should I think about a Light Upgrade? It looks to have stock lighting with 36w 10k day and 36w 10k deep blue bulbs. What should I be putting in the chambers for the filtration (it only came with some bioballs)

Sorry about the long winded intro and many questions, just want to do my research before putting anything alive in a tank. Would also love suggestions on what to put in the tank for fish/corals/etc.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Welcome to AA Mike! :)

What types of coral do you want to keep? That will really dictate your lighting needs. You should be fine running without a skimmer for the first few months. Once the tank is cycled and you add bioload to it, a skimmer will become more important.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike. If you wanna ask away. I have a pretty modded out BC29 and would be more then happy to help you along the way and share with you what worked for me and what didn't.

If you want you can jump over to the saltwater section and under there you'll find a nano sub section. Start a thread there, maybe call it "my bc29 build thread" or whatever you'd like. More people will see it hence more help,advice and ideas you'll get! :)

I'll be looking for it and like I said more then happy to help you in anyway I can.

Back
Top Bottom