Hey guys!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off, Petsmart employees know nothing about aquariums.
Now to your question. An established tank is a tank that will turn ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Bacteria living in your filter does this. Ammonia and nitrites are very poisonous to fish. Nitrates are less toxic. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to cycle, to my tank taking 5 months.
While your tank is establishing you need to constantly check water parameters with test kits (I highly reccomend API liquid test kit. 18$ on amazon, and will last you years). If ur ammonia or nitrites go above .25, do a waterchange. When ur nitrites and ammonia are 0, with nitrates present, ur cycled. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

-Andrew

Oh wow. Yeah they didn't tell me any of this stuff!! Thank you so much!!!

Ooh ok! I see!

Not saying you don't need to test your water in a month! Do it every week, I was just stressing it's a crucial time to be checking it. I would be checking it daily if I were you until it drops

Not saying you don't need to test your water in a month! Do it every week, I was just stressing it's a crucial time to be checking it. I would be checking it daily if I were you until it drops

Of course! I will definitely be getting a test kit either off amazon or if they have the one that Andrew suggested at pets mart i will be getting it from them!

And as for the ammonia and nitrites I would listen to .25 level as I have heard mixed suggestions and am not sure about, but I'm guessing this would be very small water change?

Have fun and enjoy! You can always pm me with questions and if I dont know the answer... Then well find the answer.

Another new person!! Welcome!! This place is place to be if you have questions! Lots of really nice people !!

Back
Top Bottom