Hey, New Fish Owner Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm so stoked to have found this site (and even more stoked to have an app for it)! I've never successfully kept fish; I've had small pets, dogs and cats my whole life, though. About three months ago I took up a second job working at my local PetSmart, and being exposed to so many beautiful fish so often really piqued my interest. My best friend has a 70 gallon tank that she has stocked with a few different kinds of South American and African cichlids, along with a variety of semi-aggressives that we sell in-store. She makes it look so easy! My dream tank is an LED Fluval Edge, live-planted with a pair of rummynose tetras.

A week and a half or so ago, I saw a really beautiful betta male and bought him out of sheer impulsivity. I bought some rocks and a bowl and some freeze-dried bloodworms, and thought I was good to go. It's really not like me to dive into a new pet without doing research, but I did it anyway, operating under the myth that bettas prefer tiny bowls to anything else. I didn't even buy the poor guy a bowl heater :(

I started doing heavy research a few days ago, and immediately saw the error of my ways and felt awful about it. I consider myself to be a very animal-oriented person, so I'm trying as quickly as possible to right the situation. I went out and bought a 3.5 gallon bowfront to put on my bedside table, a heater, and a Tom Mini Internal filter because the one provided in the 3.5g kit was really strong. He seems much happier already :) I do eventually want to go up a size (to a 5 gallon) so that I can keep this 3.5 for shrimp only, but I think it'll work just fine for the interim.

I'm pretty much here so that I can educate myself and hopefully become a decent fish keeper, and keep my betta healthy and happy.
I'd like to start figuring out now the steps to make my future Fluval a success as well. I've skimmed through some threads already, and most of replies I read came from what seem to be very knowledgeable, passionate people. I couldn't be more excited to start learning. I'm actually about to go post in the getting started section, but figured forum etiquette required I post here first.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice I receive!

Welcome to AA! It's good to hear you did your research and gave your betta a better home! Congrats!

Welcome to AA! Glad you found us! :)

Back
Top Bottom