Hey there :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

applepip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Im Pip, Im a teen living in the South East of England and love my fish :)
I had a small coldwater tank with goldfish and whatnot as a child and always wanted the "big bright fish" that were tropical, so my parents bought me a 130L tank for christmas when I was 15.
It sat around for a bit though due to home renovation etc but I finally did set it up and Ive had it running for nearing a year and a half now :)
Unfortunately due to bad suppliers and Im afraid to say my own inexperience I have had a few tragedies and bouts of sickness, but thats all dealt with now and as far as I can tell the last few months have been all clear :) And I can happily say I have definitely learnt from the experience.
I've had quite a few people (through friends and family) "donate" their fish (and 2 plants) to me due to getting rid of their tank/fish not getting on etc and because of that Im not entirely sure of the age, gender or breed even of some of my fish (if you think you could possibly help me out I have started a thread with a few photos of the ones Im not sure of, so that would be great if you could! :) )
I also have a question/thread about a long lasting case of popeye on a gourami so if you have any information that could help please check that out, Ive included lots of information.
Im afraid to say my tank is currently overstocked, due to a workfriend of my mum's suddenly having to move and my sudden gaining of 5 fish, (all larger on arrival than what she told me they were on the phone) but I couldnt turn them away at my door could I?
But I check on the fish every day, do weekly level checks and fortnightly water changes and at the moment they do all seem to be healthy and happy, so fingers crossed everything will stay alright. Also when I get the money I will be buying a new tank to move some of the fish over into so that should help :)
And lastly, question; Ive been told by a few people that fish grow to fit your tank, ergo the bigger your tank the larger your fish will grow, (unless of course their breed does not naturally get very big). Ive received quite a few large fish, and had them for quite a time now and I dont think they have grown? So what Im asking is is this "grow to fit the tank" thing correct? They all came from the "normal" shape tanks which are wide but not very tall, however mine is pretty much square in shape, would this restrict their growth if it is true? Just wondering as Im a bit worried about how much more my 2 plecos could potentially grow, one being about 9" already.
Ive attached an image of my tank to show you the shape :)

Back
Top Bottom