Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there! I'm new to this forum but not new to fish. I'm 15, and a few years back I bought a really cool looking Pleco and 3 black skirt tetras without research from petsmart. I had my little crew in a 10 gallon, but after further research and identification I learned the pleco i had was a bristle nose and I would need a bigger tank. In my search for info about my pleco, I also learned about cycling... And what my fish were going through. After a lucky fish-in cycle and an API master kit purchase I was hooked. I upgraded to a 29 gallon and finished out my tetra school, and added another school of cherry barbs. I did a fish less cycle and everything was going great! Fast forward to high school... Whoops. College is coming fast and I need to get smaller. I don't have the time or the money to take care of my babies anymore. It's starting to show, as I lost my pleco a couple days back. I feel horrible to see the tank going downhill, and they need a good home. I still have all of the tetras (those things are bulletproof I swear) and three female cherry barbs. I'd love to sell the tank to someone that could fix it up and make it look good again, but that's a post for the classifieds. I'm also here because I would love to start a nice little 5 gallon betta tank that I could take care of and take to college with me. That and selling the big tank are why I figured I'd join, because I don't want my babies going to someone on craigslist that might not take care of them. So hi and sorry for the novel haha, I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Hey welcome to AA!

I'm 15 too! I also started with a 10 gallon with one bn pleco, a black moor goldfish, and 8 White Cloud Mountain minnows yikes! :/
Now I have a 50 gallon and a 29 planted in my room
I'm sure someone here will take the tank:)
Cool betta tank! I have a blue crowntail in a 2.5, no tank mates:(
In a 5, depending on the betas attitude, you can add one nerite snail and two red cherry shrimp, good luck!
Where are you from? I am from the boring city of El Paso tx, very hot!
I have a thread on my 29 gallon if you want to look at it :D
Welcome to AA!

Hey welcome to AA!

I'm 15 too! I also started with a 10 gallon with one bn pleco, a black moor goldfish, and 8 White Cloud Mountain minnows yikes! :/
Now I have a 50 gallon and a 29 planted in my room
I'm sure someone here will take the tank:)
Cool betta tank! I have a blue crowntail in a 2.5, no tank mates:(
In a 5, depending on the betas attitude, you can add one nerite snail and two red cherry shrimp, good luck!
Where are you from? I am from the boring city of El Paso tx, very hot!
I have a thread on my 29 gallon if you want to look at it :D
Welcome to AA!

Cool!!! I'm in Georgia :) yeah I was thinking about maybe adding a snail too haha. I actually tried some shrimp in my 29 gallon a couple different times, but for whatever reason they do not do well in my water. They didn't even get eaten, just died. I was thinking an apple or mystery snail instead. I think nerites are awesome, but my petsmart doesn't sell them, and while I've had good experiences ordering online, (my shrimp) it doesn't seem worth it for one snail. Plus I'm looking to do something fun with this tank (colorful gravel, fun fake plants, tacky decor, etc.) and I think the bright colors on the apples or mysteries might go better. :)

Why not try live plants, you won't regret it! I'm not getting anymore fake plants ever!

Attachments

• image-1500157157.jpg
    image-1500157157.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 57
Cool setup! I've had live plants in the past actually haha. In fact I have one little Anubis that has been with me since I got the tank. It's been living in the dark for the past month, (not enough $ to replace bulb) but it's happened before, and it just goes dormant until it gets light again, then puts out a new leaf. :) I like live ones, and they do a lot for the tank which is great, but my last batch gave my tank some wretched hair algae (that's still with me unfortunately -_-) and I don't really want to have to deal with much more than water changes and food in this new tank if you know what I'm getting at haha.

Yea nerites are very nice!

But I would keep one apple snail, I really like them, I think the bioload is worth it

Other than the 5 right now not really. I'd love to do a 10 gallon saltwater at some point way down the road, but for now I'm not too excited about anything over 10 gallons haha. When I have my own house I'd love to do a big freshwater showcase type tank, with a rainbow shark (I've always admired them but didn't have enough space) and some big schools.

Yea nerites are very nice!

But I would keep one apple snail, I really like them, I think the bioload is worth it

Cool! I'll have to sell the big tank before ill be able to talk my folks into the little one, so I've still got plenty of time to work out the kinks :)

10 gallon, why not a 50 gallon at least, maybe only one clownfish in there, that's it!
I want a 250 gallon freshwater with arowana and gars, maybe a fire eel

10 gallon, why not a 50 gallon at least, maybe only one clownfish in there, that's it!
I want a 250 gallon freshwater with arowana and gars, maybe a fire eel

Pfffft, but I gotta have a nemo! I also like yellow gobys (I think I read somewhere that one would fit in a 10) and I've never tried salt, so I'd like to go small first just to see if I like it :) and that sounds awesome!!! Eels are so pretty!

Yea true, gobys do fit, and of course you gotta have a nemo!
If I can, I'll get an even bigger tank, 500+!

Yea true, gobys do fit, and of course you gotta have a nemo!
If I can, I'll get an even bigger tank, 500+!

See? Little tanks are fun too XD but something tells me ill have a huge one at some point haha. (There's a huge, 250 gallon+ just sitting at my grandpa's farm... If my parents don't do anything with it it's mine when I've got space)

Back
Top Bottom