hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 1 year old cycled 40g tank. 8-10 mosquito fish (from wild), 3 tiger barbs, 2 golden dojos, 2 regular colored dojos, 3 albino, 3 emerald, and 3 leopard Cory catfish. I started with the resilient mosquito fish in a 10g aquarium and successfully breed them. (this was when I was 14 I am 19 now). last year my neighbor had to go away for 3 days and his niece overfeed and killed all his fish but 2 neons and a loach just before he had to go. so he asked me if I could house his fish and I said yes. the loach lived and the neons that I have had no luck with died. he wasn't to bummed out since they were sick before I got them. when he got back he said he couldn't afford caring for his fish so he asked if I could keep him. I agreed and he later gave me all the aquarium stuff for 100 dollars including the 40g tank and stand. I got the 1 tiger barb, 2 golden dojos, 3 albino, and 3 leopards that year. shortly before my big loach that was my neighbor died (since he was close to 5 years old) I got 2 dojos, 2 tiger barbs and the 3 emeralds. all Cory's are a 1 male to 2 female ratio. my tank has duel filtration for over 50g, 2 big air stones, and a heater that I keep temp at 76f-78f with. my albinos and leopards like this temp to breed. only the albinos have successfully laid where I can get the eggs though XD. on my second attempt at grabbing the eggs 10 days ago I collected around 30. around 20 3 days later hatched. I have them in a plastic container that I have an air stone in and do 50% water changes every day with main tank water. the container floats in the main tank. I feed the fry 1 time a day finely crushed algae wafer (helps with immune system) (just a finger dab) and brine shrimp eggs/shrimp (protein) (1 nice drop). since I have seen them eat with no extra and they are old enough I have switched to 2 times a day feeding like the adults. adults get 2 broken up algae wafers and 2 broken up tubafix worm cubes. the bottom of main has gravel, sand, then a sprinkle of gravel layering. nice cave and plenty of plants to hide all fake though. at feeding time I take the broken up worm cubes and bury some under the sand. they have a blast finding the food XD. the fry though have a bare bottom for now. I have brought my 10g back to working condition 2 days ago. I have seeded it with water, gravel, and rub off from 1 of main tanks filters. this will boost the good bacteria level. in that time I can transfer the fry to the 10g when the levels are right. this is so they can get big enough for the community tank before all but 2 going to new homes.(since the container they are in is 3in by 10in).the 10g has 2 live plants and 1 fake with same bottom as main. it was only suppose to have been my albinos that breed but 3 fry are dark. not albino. I think they could be a leopard egg batch or my mom albino shacked up with my 3 month old emerald male Cory. only time will tell XD. I joined this site to learn more and be able to talk with others who have similar passions.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :) I'm slightly envious of your cory fry, I've had 2 successfully hatch on their own , I was on vacation in the uk when I got back home I spotted 2 tiny perfect corydoras

I would post pics but I cant seem to work windows 8. still not use to the setup. oh well when I get a day off I will fool with it and see what I can do. also my main is cloudy. did a 20% water change 5 days ago. I think my issue was my filter was sucking in the sand around the bottom and the sand was built to high there. so I am figuring if I clean the filters that should make it clear again. I have already moved the sand away and put some gravel around the filter so it doesn't disturb the sand. and yea this is my first batch to hatch though my second attempt at it. first one I had them in a breeders but I didn't set up the plate in the bottom correctly (it was different from my old one that had to retire XD) so all the eggs escaped when the plate lifted up due to a bubbler underneath. that was close to 70 eggs. then I had them breed again with a decent amount but when I got back there was just remains. tiger barbs love the eggs. so really 3rd time was the charm I had to fight with the tigers to get the eggs though. but I won out on most of them at least XD. I have breed mosquito fish before so once I got the Cory eggs to hatch it has been easier now I am on familiar ground XD. oh u can just make out some barbells now.

Last edited:
I would post pics but I cant seem to work windows 8. still not use to the setup. oh well when I get a day off I will fool with it and see what I can do. also my main is cloudy. did a 20% water change 5 days ago. I think my issue was my filter was sucking in the sand around the bottom and the sand was built to high there. so I am figuring if I clean the filters that should make it clear again. I have already moved the sand away and put some gravel around the filter so it doesn't disturb the sand. and yea this is my first batch to hatch though my second attempt at it. first one I had them in a breeders but I didn't set up the plate in the bottom correctly (it was different from my old one that had to retire XD) so all the eggs escaped when the plate lifted up due to a bubbler underneath. that was close to 70 eggs. then I had them breed again with a decent amount but when I got back there was just remains. tiger barbs love the eggs. so really 3rd time was the charm I had to fight with the tigers to get the eggs though. but I won out on most of them at least XD. I have breed mosquito fish before so once I got the Cory eggs to hatch it has been easier now I am on familiar ground XD. oh u can just make out some barbells now.

Tell me about windows 8... I added software to make it run like 7 ... Anyway if your water is cloudy maybe it's a bacteria bloom, it will dear up on its own , eventually, and pictures would be great ..

Tell me about windows 8... I added software to make it run like 7 ... Anyway if your water is cloudy maybe it's a bacteria bloom, it will dear up on its own , eventually, and pictures would be great ..
no its just figuring how to get pictures to save and come up on the laptop. its a real pain sometimes. especially when I forget how to do it XD. give me a second and I will try to upload today.

pic problems

can anyone help me to place pics on this thing with windows 8 or will I have to use a different computer?

Last edited:
can anyone help me to place pics on this thing with windows 8 or will I have to use a different computer?

Sorry no idea, I generally use my iPad, but like I said I added shell software so it runs like windows 7 as I didn't have time to figure out how 8 works..

finally got pics up thanks for help

40g tank front side with pen for fry top right front of 10g

Last edited:
pics

tomorrow I will post some better pics of tank. ye I know its cloudy think it was due to the filter sucking in my sand. so I mover the sand and put gravel around the filters end. hopefully it will clear up when I do another water change.

more pics

I have more pics on my album if you want to see. I did a 20-30% water change and that helped a lot with the water clarity ( didn't get pics after change) might do it again towards the end of this week since my big bucket tipped over on the ride home :( only the little bucket made it.

I have checked the levels in my 10g and they are perfect so I put the 7 exact count of mosquito fish in the 10g. hopefully this will help the tank cycle more. still want to hold off on putting the fry in till they are big and the tank is cycled more. just got a mystery egg from one of my Corys XD. it was the only one left by the time I got home from work.:(. good news is that it is clear with a dark color to it so it could be fertile. time to start the calendar timer again XD. the 20g filter is helping my 50g filter on my 40g tank. so far its clearing up going to do a water change tomorrow that should do it.

Last edited:
This was what happened when I was feeding them this morning ,the others are well hidden behind plants and in corners, I think she put them on the front to say "hey I'm laying my eggs today "
image-1715106421.jpg

pic to come

oh really yours laied today so did all my females. which is 4 that can breed now. I lost track after I counted to 200 eggs. and that was before I had to take off 5 more batches of 5-10+. I looked in after work to check on the little fry and when I saw all the eggs my jaw drop to the floor. I started counting the eggs in the front not the batches on the side and on the outside of the fry pin. I got to 200 . everyone is ok after that mass spawn XD. males look tired. glade I have a back up breeders pin I got to work so the plate doesn't move. ummm XD 1 more week I can transfer the fry to the 10g the now counted 18. those are the ones that are big enough I have 2 runts that are going to stay in the egg pin till they get a bit bigger. they are to small to chow down on the eggs so that's not an issue. my mind is spinning wondering how many squiggles I will get from this batch XD. it be a moving sea of fry XD. well that's all I got to say for now XD wish me lots of luck.

Last edited:
Good luck, about 50+ eggs were eaten , the others are quite well hidden, so. Will leave them I think , my guppies and Molly had a few babies yesterday too, so I'm going to try to get them if possible, they are good at hiding ... So I might leave them as I have about 100+ fry already

this is the aftermath of yesturday

the eggs seem ok nice and tan for the most part. we will see in 2 days.

I think the one egg from earlier was just the beginning of this mayhem XD. anyone want Corys I will sell them 50 cents each XD. I stoped counting at 200 then 92+ and there was still another spot with 50 and then around 20-30 I pulled off before counting XD. would be nice if I got 150-200 to hatch. I would be shocked if 300- all did XD

Back
Top Bottom