hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paige2731

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
wow first off we have a 55 gal. tank with blue electric cichlids in it i think there is 11 in there now we also have 2 pictus catfish and an algae eater we had a red tail but he died and we don't know how or why finally we have a yellow cichlid that likes to kill other fish every couple months he chases them and nibles there tail until they die its not cool at all

I've never had a cichlids tank but I'm pretty sure they're best kept with other cichlids, I hear they get pretty aggressive towards any other fish. But IDK I've never owned any.

you are right

cichlids do tend to be very aggressive but here is how we did it
1) introduce all other fish species nothing that is group tank oriented
2) allow soon to be tank mates to grow a few months at least you want them bigger than the baby cichlids at least
3) introduce baby cichlids
it really wasn't too bad we only have had a few times when a cichlid has attacked another fish mostly the yellow one mentioned above. BTW any other cichlid owners can you tell me why he may be doing this?

Last edited:
He's claiming territory. Some cichlids are more aggressive than others. Make sure you have lots of caves & rocks to give hiding places. Redecorate to change the areas that he's claimed. If he's a nasty fish like Kenya, bumblebee or auratus you may need to rehome.

hmmm

he is solid yellow except for his tail and top fin they are clear with a black stripe at the top of it he favors stump thing my husband bought at petland he has living plants to enjoy too. though we need to replace them every other month. does that help with the type he is

Back
Top Bottom