Hi all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melisa427

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. Thanks for maintaining such a helpful site. I stumbled across this site when looking for "new tank set up" information and it is great! I am looking forward to combing through the information and therefore can pass some on along the way.

I live in New York City and need some "quiet time" away from the hustle and bustle and what a better way than to care for a tank that gives me nothing but .... hehe "q u i e t t i m e". I have a 125 gallon (taller than longer) tank that was until somewhat recently, a successful reef tank that I had maintained for a good part of 10+ years. It started out as an all fish tank back in the 40 gallon days, graduated to a 75 gallon and then about 4 years ago, i upgraded to 125. I loved it, I learned it, and then sort of 'burnt out' after having my 3rd child. Now I am coming back to the hobby after breaking down the tank about 18 mos ago. I have decided to start up a freshwater tank with a challenge. I am studying and learning about Discus. :)

:pepsi:

I have been cycling the tank for about 5 wks. I have added 150 pounds of the "CaribSea" live gravel, decided NOT to use live plants because the tank is quite deep and I am unable to reach all the way down to the bottom. I know.... there are tongs and what-not, but I want to feel the tank. I have it planted with beautiful artificial plants (some plastic, but mostly silk) and a huge piece of driftwood. It looks like the Amazon. I am trying to maintain the "true to area" feel and doing it up Amazonian. I have tested the water and all the parameters are in order. I know the cycle is almost there, but not quite ready. I have added 6 'Head and Tail lite Tetra's' and am waiting to see what happens. If all goes well, I will add a school of Cardinal Tetras, a smaler school of Rummy Nosed Tetra's and some other random compatible tank mates. Eventually, sometime in April, I want to add 10 juvenile Discus pretty much at once.

I am looking forward to see how it works and read up on it as much as possible from you guys. If you have any suggestions at all, HELP!!

Thanks, melisa

Welcome.

I'm also recently returning to the hobby, and the people on this site have been nothing but wonderful.

Hopefully we'll get to see photos of your tank when it's up & running.

Thanks Wary. I appreciate the thumbs up for the site. Is your tank posted somewhere? I would love to take a peek at the tanks. On my search now.

Back
Top Bottom