Hi All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just excited to learn more about my tank and gain the experience to maintain my healthy aquatic friends.
Hope to post a few pics later. I have a 90 gallon tall tank with a fluval 405 and gravel substrate. I have some beautiful yellow labs and a electric blue acara. There are 2 rose line sharks, a tiger barb and few others my wife picked out that I don't recall the names of ( probably my memory slipping away ...lol). Look forward to gaining knowledge from experienced people.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

I checked your profile. I am trying to research and find out who's who in the aquarium world....lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422320311.035886.jpg
Here's a picture of my current tank. Only been setup about 4 months now. The glass is pretty scratched up due to buying it used but the fish don't seem to mind at all....

Really cool! What fish do you have? :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Thanks Shelly. I have like 6 guppies, 2 mollies, 1 little catfish, 1 tiger barb, 2 rose line sharks, 3 yellow labs, and 1 electric blue Acara. I think that's it. I probably forgot something knowing me.

Thanks Shelly. I have like 6 guppies, 2 mollies, 1 little catfish, 1 tiger barb, 2 rose line sharks, 3 yellow labs, and 1 electric blue Acara. I think that's it. I probably forgot something knowing me.

That's quite a mix. I hope you have other tanks to move the Africans ?

If they are babies, they may work for now, but if you research those species...it's not a mix I'd recommend.

Nice tank tho ?

Coursair, I am told that the yellow labs are the mild ones of the group through breeding and that the Acara is the mildest.
Now with that being said I understand that the guppies and maybe the mollies will have to come out at a later time when the labs begin getting older due to spawning and possibly feeding.
I did notice when I got home tonight that one of the labs is after any yellow fish that it see's especially the other two labs.
I don't know if this is aggression or if maybe it is going through puberty.
It may be the male as it has way more black on the lower fins versus the other two who hardly have any.
But yes I have another 20 gallon I will setup at a later time and looking at a 55 gallon a friend has I can get for a good price as well.
Any idea on the sexing of the labs?

I'm no expert on sexing Africans. I believe the black edging is wider/darker on the males ?

My concern is that many Africans need a plant-based diet. And will develop bloat if they're fed normal meat-based fish flakes.

So they normally prefer different water conditions as well as diet.

We used Argonite sand substrate and fed them zucchini and romaine and Omega One veggie wafers.

Once they get some size, they may kill off the peaceful fish AFAIK. I've seen Africans eat the eyes of Coreys as well as some smaller Plecos.

GL with your tank.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been giving them cucumbers and zucchini and all of the fish seem to enjoy them. If I see that type of aggression I will definately remove them to another tank.

Back
Top Bottom