Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ukskater01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I've just started my tank two weeks ago. My lfs told me to wait a week and then bring some water in to get tested so I could get some guppies. I used some aquasafe and safestart and changed the water once to get use to doing it while the tank was empty. I brought a sample of my tank water to my lfs and they said it was fine to have about five guppies. Everything was fine for the first few days until unrealized I needed a heater! managed to get a heater in after about two days so hopefully didn't do too much harm. Sadly this morning I noticed one of my dragon guppies had died. It had been swimming constantly in the air jet from my filter for about a day or two. Ive just had a cheap thermometer delivered so I installed it in my canopy and made some bigger air holes with some stick on mesh. Once I had installed the canopy the thermometer said 30.1'C! I turned the heater down and it's at about 28.5'C. I'm wondering if this thermometer is right as the water doesn't seem to be that hot.
I did around a 40% water change after I took out my dead one, do you think if the thermometer is right and the heater isn't as I set the heater to 24'C the heat could has killed him? The others seem fine
Sorry for the essay
Thanks

Welcome to AA what are your parameters ie. Ammonia nitrite nitrate etc... do you have a test kit if not id look into the api master test kit and it sounds like you arent cycled yet

Thanks for the replies,I will be getting a master kit very soon, until then I will be doing about 30% water changes everyday. Do you think it's best to do this until I have 0 ammonia and then switch to every week
Thanks again
Andy

ukskater01 said:
Thanks for the replies,I will be getting a master kit very soon, until then I will be doing about 30% water changes everyday. Do you think it's best to do this until I have 0 ammonia and then switch to every week
Thanks again
Andy

Need to keep ammonia atleast .25ppm or lower that may mean everyday for a few weeks

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the replies, I'm getting a master test kit tommorow. Sadly another one died today :( it was my other dragon guppy. I've just changed 50% of the water and probably will get an air stone soon for extra oxygen as the two that died seemed to always swim in the filters power head flow. The other four seem fine, I'm wondering if the two dragon guppies were in a bad tank from the shop and were doomed from the start? I know as my tank is only starting to cycle my ammonia is high but I have been changing the water everyday with the right amount of aquasafe and using safestart.
Thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom