Hi everyone, from the Sunshine State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJRofFL

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recent retiree here, from sunny Florida. Thought I'd stop in here to see if I need therapy.

Keep seeing the word "addiction" related to this great hobby, and although I have not yet found myself repeatedly coming home with little clear plastic bags on a weekly basis, and have not yet rearranged my furniture to accomodate more tanks, I do notice that when I drive by a LFS my car seems to swerve to the right.

Is that a sign?

Do I need help?

Thanks,

Bob R

Welcome to the site, Bob! You don't need therapy! It's completely normal, or so I hear :) Glad you have joined us!

LOL Sounds like the beginning of something great. :)
It's not the car, it's your subconscience speaking to you... you should listen. :scrambleup:
Welcome to AA. :p

Bob, you're not really addicted until you have multiple tanks. Gee with all that time on your hands, what are you waiting for? I hope you got a large enough place in snny FLA to house all those tanks....

welcometoaa.gif

My goodness, cmor1701d, your jumping fish must carry some sort of subliminal message, because now I suddenly find myself thinking about what furniture to move where, and how I could fit a 55G in here!

Now, let's see, if I put my wife's curio cabinet in the garage, the stereo in the kitchen, the refrigerator in the hallway and the dog's bed on the porch............, yup, that might work!

Thanks,

Bob R

Hi Bob! :wave:

If you put your wife's curio cabinet in the garage, you may find your bed on the porch with the dog! :lol: But at least your 55 gallon will have a nice place in the house!

Welcome to the best site for fish, fun and fellowship ---- And Yup, your getting addicted and ironically this is a place of therapy for when you may experience some mind altering set backs with your tank and yet it also gives you the info you need to fuel your addiction - catch 22.
My addiction started with the "Special Price 10 gallon Starter Set". As soon as I had it purring I wanted more .... and bigger :bowl:

OK, I innocently printed out plans for building a DIY stand for a 55G tank and left it on my desk with a note saying "Just a thought."
My wife saw it, and added a printout of plans for building a DIY Dog House with a sign over the entrance with my name on it!

So now, I'm working on Plan B, which is thinking of a way to convice her that perhaps Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny might bring one.

Think it will fly?

Bob R

Do this:

Syphon off into a safe place a little cash, just a few bucks here and there. Just enough so she won't notice. Then, when you have enough money, give it to your mum/dad/friend/relative/total stranger. They then buy you a "gift" at a strategic time (xmas, birthday, etc).

Win win! ;)

Welcome to the site!
Hmmm, put the tank in the dog house!

You might want to wait a little after your anniversary stunt you pulled! :) Haha... I found that being persistent pays off! I just setup my second tank yesterday, after nearly a year of begging :)

Yeah, I guess you all are right. That anniversary stunt was a kicker!

Guess I'll have to work on a different approach.

Let me practice:

Yes, dear, I'd love to do the dishes tonight!

No, dear, that dress actually makes you look thinner!

Here, dear, let me fold the laundry!

Gosh, that meal was delicious! You are a wonderful cook! Can I get a new fish tank?

Do I get any points for above?

Bob R

Oh I simply can not resist inproviding my insight of how that thus comments may be received. And please don't be offended because I give this advice in order to help you get a new tank... so go with me on this!

Yes, dear, I'd love to do the dishes tonight!

Hahahaha - I've never heard anything so perposterious before in my life. I hate dishes, as does everyone. Try "Hon you made a wonderful meal (assminng she cooked) . The least I can do is clean up". For extra special touch she won't be expecting, clean the sink when you're finished washing up. Make it sparkle! don't forget the taps.

No, dear, that dress actually makes you look thinner!

Does any woman actually direct this question to blokes anymore? If so, it is an entrapment method. We know you're trapped, and can't say a thing... Try this.... BEFORE she prompts for a comment, get in first. Say "Wow, I've not noticed before how nice you look in that dress/top/outfit, etc", giver her a hug and leave it at that.

Here, dear, let me fold the laundry!
(y)

Gosh, that meal was delicious! You are a wonderful cook! Can I get a new fish tank?

You are going to have to use the last one every day after every meal. This is called nagging and it works! Eventually, you will get your way.

Do I get any points for above?

Most definitely and persistence is key. Throw in several "I love you"s and hugs throughout the day. Keep all that up and you'll have a new tank within 6 months.
:king:

Many thanks, marchmaxima, for your wonderful insight to my situation. In fact, I would call it "pretty spiffy!"
BTW, I admire your accent. I have a friend in London who always calls me a "blankity-blank bloke from accross the pond." Not sure if has same meaning in Aussie.

Knowing my wife as I do, I suspect her replies would be (in order):

Do dishes = "What did you break now!"
Dress = "You mean this old thing?"
Fold Laundry = "Did you dent the car again?"
Great meal = "Thank you and No!"

However, you've given me great inspiration.

To commemorate the Discovery Landing at the Docking Station today, I will quote from that famous toy Buzz Lightyear,

"To infinity and beyond!"

Thanks again.

Bob R

Back
Top Bottom