Hi everyone, new to the Forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgiaboi22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, everyone I am new to the forum. I was hoping someone on here might could answer a question of mine. I have an API test kit, and when I did my Nitrate test earlier it smelled of rotten eggs after I drained it. It came back 0ppm, just in case someone ask. I have done multiple tests before, and it is not expired. I was just wondering if someone might know a reason for this or had this happen.

How Olds the tank? 0 nitrates is rather odd in an established tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

about 3 months, I did a fishless cycle. It finished and my Nitrates were at 20ppm and I did a 40% waterchange yesterday, and today I tested the Nitrates, and the test smelled like eggs after waiting the 5 mins

Hmmm, prime smells like eggs/sulphur. .. any way you could have mixed them up??

No its just a basic API test kit, I have them all seperated, and I beat the Nitrate #2 bottle on a table and shaked it for 30 sec, and did 10 drops as it said on the first and second bottle. I dont know why it smells, it usually doesnt, I did a second test later aswell to make sure that I did not mix anything. So I really do not know why.

Mystery bro... let's see if anyone knows?? The 0 reading is odd though, wonder if it somehow became contaminated?

I was testing everything, as I was planning on getting fish tomorrow, but now that it smells like that im not sure if it is safe, and also i guess i should have stated, no the water doesnt smell. Only thing that smells is after i do the nitrate test and poor it out.

Back
Top Bottom