Hi From Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demanius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys my name is Demanius,

From down under , Recently bought a 2 foot tropical tank setup.

My first tank , wanting to raise a male jaguar cichlid in future.

Waiting for the river sand sediment to settle, my 5 goldfish died today stupid me lol :(

This site is awesome btw :brows::angel::D:fish1::fish1:

Welcome to the forum! There's plenty of information here. You may want to read up on cycling your tank in preparation for fish to prevent future deaths. For some reason, fish stores are notorious for misinforming people and selling them fish before they are ready. You should also research the tank requirements for the species of fish you are interested in. Ask a lot of questions. People are very helpful here. :)

Demanius said:
Hi Guys my name is Demanius,

From down under , Recently bought a 2 foot tropical tank setup.

My first tank , wanting to raise a male jaguar cichlid in future.

Waiting for the river sand sediment to settle, my 5 goldfish died today stupid me lol :(

This site is awesome btw :brows::angel::D:fish1::fish1:

Hi and welcome to AA!
Queensland here :D
Here are some links on cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Cycling a new tank is very important. It is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process your fishes waste.
Do you know how big your tank is? I have a 2 foot aquaone tank and it's 65L.

Thanks guys.

New South Whales Here :)

Yes i want to get a 25 cm male Jaguar Cichlid.

The tank, im not sure, roughly 2 1/4 foot long 1 1/2 foot high and 1 foot width.

I will properly measure and see how many litres or gallons :p

Demanius said:
Update Spoke to my Aquarium Store , 85 litres - 23 gallon Tank I bought.

Is this the tank you are planning to keep the Jaguar Cichlid in? Or is this just a starter tank for other fish to get your head wrapped around fish keeping?
I've just done some reading and it seems a full grown male Jaguar Cichlid need a tank of 120gals+ thats nearly 500L.

Is this the tank you are planning to keep the Jaguar Cichlid in? Or is this just a starter tank for other fish to get your head wrapped around fish keeping?
I've just done some reading and it seems a full grown male Jaguar Cichlid need a tank of 120gals+ thats nearly 500L.

I have practised with my friends discus fish and his oscar. Looking after them etc.

Yes this is the tank I plan to put him in :)

Demanius said:
I have practised with my friends discus fish and his oscar. Looking after them etc.

Yes this is the tank I plan to put him in :)

Ok. Is he a baby or juvie or mature? How big? Really the tank is too small anyway IMO. 85L is pretty tiny for such a big fish.

Hey Mumma , Yes he is a juvie , 6-8cm long.

You are right when he is big I should plan to get a bigger tank.

What fish do you have?

Demanius said:
Hey Mumma , Yes he is a juvie , 6-8cm long.

You are right when he is big I should plan to get a bigger tank.

What fish do you have?

Definitely look into the larger tank sooner rather than later. :) He will grow faster than you expect.

I have 7 tanks at the moment. A 270L, 155L, 65L, 40L, 30L, 2x 12L. Stock lists are in my profile.

So you have the tank. Do you have the fish yet?

Well im using my friends Oscar Fish's Filter Wool System 4 days old I did a 50 per cent water change added bio system fluid and conditioner.

Washed the sand/gravel 6 times to get rid of the cloudy phosphate etc.

Demanius said:
Well im using my friends Oscar Fish's Filter Wool System 4 days old I did a 50 per cent water change added bio system fluid and conditioner.

Washed the sand/gravel 6 times to get rid of the cloudy phosphate etc.

So you've got seeded media. That's good :) Was it only in the Oscar tank for 4 days though? The bacteria in a bottle starters are useless IMO. They either contain the wrong bacteria or the bacteria is dead from lack of food or temperature swings.
Your options are fish in or fishless cycling. Fishless is a hassle if you live in Australia. Pure ammonia is very hard to find and the dead prawn method is just messy. I fish in cycle my tanks.

Nice advice Mumma :) He gave me seeded media since 6 months old of growing bacteria. Wool a week old.

And 25 % of his water from his oscar tank. We got 10 feeder goldfish today and they seem to be holding up well for now :D

Demanius said:
Nice advice Mumma :) He gave me seeded media since 6 months old of growing bacteria. Wool a week old.

And 25 % of his water from his oscar tank. We got 10 feeder goldfish today and they seem to be holding up well for now :D

Ok good seeded media! Yay!
10goldfish :( :( :( are you going to change the water so they don't have to live in their own filth/poison/ammonia? Can I suggest returning them? If not can you do daily PWC so they don't suffer?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Back
Top Bottom