Hi from Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoralBon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello :)

I am a sculptor and graphic designer originally from Portugal.

I have just bought a fish tank (Fluval Edge 23 litres / 6 US gallons) for my three-year old daughter, who is very excited about the prospect of having fish (tiny!) and/or snails and shrimp in her aquarium.

I am absolutely new to fish tanks, so I thought it would be great to be able to ask for advice from experienced and kind people as those in these forum.

I am very excited at embarking in this project and also very much looking forward to hear from you!

I am writing this as my hello post and am not sure I can ask a question. I will ask just in case...

I am preparing my tank (Fluval Edge 23 litres / 6 US gallons) for a tropical environment where to keep, hopefully, endlers (or size-equivalent), ruby shrimps and perhaps tiny snails. I have already prepared the tank with the bacteria. My problem is the temperature.

We live in a traditional Edinburgh apartment with the also traditional drafty windows which means our living room, where the tank is, gets quite cold at times -- 12C / 53.6 F in the mornings (and occasionally during the day) in the evenings getting to 21C / 69.8 F.

I am using the 25 W heater that comes with the fluval tank and the heater is not coping well:
1- The temp will not, at any point, rise above 19 C (60.8 F)
2 - the temp oscillates between 16 C (60.8 F) and 19 C (66.2 F)during the day.

So, could I ask, what heater would you advise, please?
1- It would need to be fully submersible (in this tank the water touches the upper, horizontal, glass)
2- would need to be able to maintain a *constant temp* of at least 26 C (78.8 F)

I would be so grateful if anyone could please advise on this, we are ready to go otherwise, just have this temperature problem. My daughter keeps asking when will we get the fish and I'd love to sort this issue soon.

Many many thanks and all the best

Coral

I have the Fluval Edge 6.6 and my temp stays at approximately 78F.

Call/email the company and see if they will send you a new heater.

Here is an old pic of my tank after it was first set up, about a year ago.

60074-albums9764-picture37583.jpg
[/IMG]

I keep Boraras Brigittae "Chilis" / Micro Rasbora in there. With Dwarf brown and blue Cherry Cherry shrimp, and Ramshorn snails. My lights are the old style Halogen, not LED. Sand substrate, and the tank is awesome! Everyone love, love, loves it!

Algae can be a problem if you leave lights on for very long periods so I would suggest a timer to make sure it is off for a couple of hours in the middle of the light cycle to disrupt algae growth, also known as a "Siesta", lol. My aquatic plant book suggested it and it made all the difference and is much better. I do mine without a timer and sometimes forget or am not home to turn it off, it is going on a timer soon though!

:welcome:

We love fish here :smitten: that's for sure!!!

Here is a pic from today! It is a bit wild, in need of aquacsaping. I am getting ready to move it around and up date the plants and trim some too.

You can see my baby CPO in the bottom left corner.

60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is one from in the middle of last year.

60074-albums9764-picture37575.jpg
[/IMG]

Dear Autumnsky

Thank you soooo much for your prompt reply and great advice.
Your tank looks fabulous, I quite like the growth (!) thank you for the pics :) Lovely baby CPO, I can't wait to have our own, my daughter is really looking forward to having small inhabitants!

The advice on the algae growth is great as I have already started to get some growth even with the tank being on for one week only, no animals yet. As I like seeing it lit up I have left the lights on for a little more time than I should but now, after your comment, have decided to follow the normal day light cycle.

Thank you also for the advice on the heater. I have read a few reviews of this model I have (25w) and people don't seem too happy with it, too weak for cold climates.

Could I ask you, please, have you found that the cascade filter is enough for efficient water oxygenation? I am planning to keep it set at maximum flow...

We are thinking of getting the same type of inhabitants you have -- fish, shrimp and snails -- so is it okay if I get back to you with any further questions I might have?

Thank you again very much, Autumnsky. All the best in the meantime

CoralBon

Love to help in any way I can.

I had this set up for almost a year, started out as my daughters she decided fish keeping wasn't for her after all and she gave it to me. My favorite tank. Once you get used to the weird shape and how to get things in and out, it is good.

I took a small wire frame net and just kept bending it in all ways till I found the best very odd shape for catching the fish.

The siesta light period allows you to keep it on for a nice long period of time mornings and evenings if that is what you prefer and still keep good lighting for the plants.

The filter has been fine, very good as a matter of fact. I enjoy the low to high flow option I keep mine on the lower side, unless I start moving things around and kick up some muck I will put it on high to clean and later when I think of it turn it back down.

On the heater... mine seems to hold well, with it getting warmer when the lights are on, of course. It was about $15, average price for the size when I bought it.

If you are going to get a new heater anyway, check out the kind which, if there is a malfunction it trips a fuse inside and then it can NOT overheat and kill your occupants.

The down side is that it must be replaced if it ever trips its breaker fuse, but a small price in the interest of not cooking your tank. It is such a small tank and so i prefer the cautious route.

A heater malfunction happened to my mom's tank when I was a kid and it was horrific, killed nearly everything before she found it. So I have always used the smallest possible Watt heater. I feel more secure knowing it isn't a danger.

I can't recall the name at the moment, but it is a safety feature, can probably google it for the brand and see if you have it where you are or can order it.

PM me any time! You can post here too though probably off topic!

Dear Autumnsky

Thank you again so much for your reply and wonderful insight and information!

I have finally bought a 50W Marina heater (made by Hagen, which makes fluval too) and the tank is now finally at 23-25 C the whole time. In this quite cold climate and cool houses the heaters need to be on the stronger side to cope with the cold and air temp variations. Fortunately I found a shop with very helpful staff, makes all the difference!

There is so much to become acquainted with when one first starts....! My knowledge was zero to start with...

We are planning to have 6 Endlers, 4 ruby shrimp, 3 or 4 mini coris, two snails (for algae control) and assassin snails (horrible name! but they are quite beautiful thank goodness) to control the snails that come in plants. That's what we were advised, at least.

We also have the brown 'sand' you have in your tank.

I am letting the plants establish themselves a few more days and then get the animals. I am sooo looking forward and so is my daughter, who by now thinks the tank is for plants only!

Autumnsky, thank you for saying I could PM you directly. I will almost certainly will if that's not too much bother. I can see a question everywhere I look! But, as you say, that'd be beyond the scope of this thread, which was the heater situation which, fingers crossed, is now sorted.

All the very best for you and your aquarium in the meantime!

CoralBon

Back
Top Bottom