Hi From Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dindsy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi There,
new to the forum and returning to the hobby.
I had a 4ftx2x2 saltwater for about 15 years then got rid of it about 6yrs ago. but i felt the need to have another one.

It seems like a lot has changed but was probably changing in the last few years that i stopped putting much effort into my tank.

I just bought a 5ftx2x2.5 off ebay with "all" the toys. you can never have all the toys. but it has sump, skimmer, heater, ATO, Auto Doser, U/V sanitiser, LED light.

I am currently filling in slowly with RO water, 60litre buckets at a time. My previous one was bought as a set up unit running so its new for me to start from scratch.

my plan is for reef and select fishes. No clownfish (too angry). i had them before.

Any comments on UV sanitiser welcome. it seemed a bit odd for me to have that?

i like yellow tang and wrasse. i like clownfish and had some in a previous tank but they bullied anything new i tried to add so i won't be getting them again.

is it possible my tank is cycled in a week. i am running the fishless cycle proposed on this forum by adding ammonia.
the sand in my tank was still wet when i started adding water so i am hoping that it had some bacteria alive.
i am dosing ammonia to 4ppm and 24hrs later it is 0.5. nitrite is 0.5 and nitrAte's are climbing quickly 20ppm and now 40ppm.

should i keep going or let ammonia drop to zero and add fish?

Not a chance in the ACT . We can have hypodermic syringes and grow pot plants but can’t be trusted with Ammonia since 911. I don’t need any by the way but was under the impression the law was nationwide?

Back
Top Bottom