Hi from The Great Barrier Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3XCS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in quickly to introduce myself, never really used forums before so not sure what to write!!

After successfully maintaining a 4ft freshwater tank and a recent trip to Daydream island witnessing thier amazing living reef displays we have decided to dip our toe into the world of reef tanks.

We recently purchased an established 160 liter marine tank with live rock, a Tomatoe Clownfish and a Hawkfish included - then started to research - major rookie mistake so im learning!! We are yet to make the 6 hour round trip to collect our new prize and despite reading absolutely everything I can get my hands on I'm still feeling quite underprepared!!

So I've come here to seek expert advice on what we need to do/purchase during the next 10 days to ensure minimal risk of harm/damage to our new family members!!

My main concers are :
1) Keeping the fish alive during the 3 hour trip home by road.
2) Should we look at preserving the water in the tank - or prepare a fresh batch at home?
3) If we prepare new water will it need to cycle/how long?
4) What do we do with our fish during this time?

Im sure theres other things I'll think of, but if anyone has tips on these points (or better yet a complete comprehensive guide!) I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Christine :)

1. New or food grade 5 gallon buckets with lids and/or ice chests. A hose to siphon tank water, keep the live rock covered with tank water. Another bucket for fish, half to three quarters full. This water will be discarded.

2 & 3. Use live rock water and fresh salt water thats aged for 24 hours to fill your tank. Recommend replacing the sand or at least rinse it before filling your tank.

4. Drip accumulate your fish before putting them into your tank.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom