Hi! I’m new! Question about ADFs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livingtowrite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Amanda. I’m new to the hobby and glad to be here! I have a 20g high with 2x Platies, 6x Black Skirt Tetras and 2x African Dwarf Frogs. My tank is 4.5 weeks old, finally cycled completely.

I have a question about the ADFs. I’m not sure they’re eating. They hide in the sunken pirate ship and I’ve started putting the shrimp pellets in there because otherwise the tetras steal them. I’m assuming the ADFs eat them because they’re gone the next day. But I saw a video on YouTube where the guy actually took out the ADFs and put them in a Tupperware container with tank water and fed them that way. The ADFs didn’t seem to mind. Would you recommend doing this to ensure they eat? I don’t want them to starve and I’m having a lot of anxiety about it.

I lost 1 fish during the cycling process. I don’t want to lose more creatures.

Thank you!

Welcome to the community!

The ADF shouldn't need to be taken out to feed them. There are a couple strategies you might consider trying.

One is to feed the other fish first on one side of the tank, opposite of where the ADF are hanging out. Then drop down a couple food pieces to the ADF.

There are xlong straws and tubes which can be purposed for dropping food pellets to the bottom feeders.

Another way is to create a safe zone for them surrounded with stones, plants, DW or make a ledge where the frogs are, under where the fish could normally swim.

If they seem to get thinner/ start to look bony, then it might be an option to scoop them up and feed them regularly. They love blood worms and Tubifex. You can get frozen or freeze dried. Soak the freeze dried ones first.

They are often poor sighted and sometimes can't quite smell their way to the wafer or pellet.

Mine really like the Hikari Omnivore wafer with the orange trim and a Clown Loach on it. They get a variety of meaty type foods all the time as well as some with veggie main ingredients to keep them as well fed as possible.

ADF are supposed to be a little bit chubby, so do not worry about if the actually gain weight. I have also had a couple over the years which seem to just waste away. Some type of internal parasite or illness and others in the tank stay well.

It is good you are checking if they are eating the food. And if they don't then you can remove it. A turkey baster is an excellent tool for removing older food. Usually can find a decent one at a dollar store or upgrade your kitchen one and use the old one for the fish tanks!

They are funny little guys.

The male will make a little electric buzzing noise when he gets older and is looking for a mate. You can listen to a sampling of it online. The noise was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was/ where it was coming from!

Welcome to the community!

The ADF shouldn't need to be taken out to feed them. There are a couple strategies you might consider trying.

One is to feed the other fish first on one side of the tank, opposite of where the ADF are hanging out. Then drop down a couple food pieces to the ADF.

There are xlong straws and tubes which can be purposed for dropping food pellets to the bottom feeders.

Another way is to create a safe zone for them surrounded with stones, plants, DW or make a ledge where the frogs are, under where the fish could normally swim.

If they seem to get thinner/ start to look bony, then it might be an option to scoop them up and feed them regularly. They love blood worms and Tubifex. You can get frozen or freeze dried. Soak the freeze dried ones first.

They are often poor sighted and sometimes can't quite smell their way to the wafer or pellet.

Mine really like the Hikari Omnivore wafer with the orange trim and a Clown Loach on it. They get a variety of meaty type foods all the time as well as some with veggie main ingredients to keep them as well fed as possible.

ADF are supposed to be a little bit chubby, so do not worry about if the actually gain weight. I have also had a couple over the years which seem to just waste away. Some type of internal parasite or illness and others in the tank stay well.

It is good you are checking if they are eating the food. And if they don't then you can remove it. A turkey baster is an excellent tool for removing older food. Usually can find a decent one at a dollar store or upgrade your kitchen one and use the old one for the fish tanks!

They are funny little guys.

The male will make a little electric buzzing noise when he gets older and is looking for a mate. You can listen to a sampling of it online. The noise was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was/ where it was coming from!

Thank you! I ended up buying a second tank that isn’t as high and they’re eating the frozen blood worms. They don’t eat that much of it but I feed them every other day until they’re full. They seem to be doing well. I’ll try the wafers too.

Back
Top Bottom