Hi! I'm a newbie to AA and fishkeeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ma2oo

Aquarium Advice Activist
My name is Matthew. I had a small betta in a five gallon as a kid, but nothing else other than that. So....I am very unexperienced and want to learn more on how to make my tank perfect. I currently have a ten gallon tank with an aquaclear 20 filter, eheim jager 50 watt heater, whisper 10 air pump, and 15 watt ultra sun bulb in an aqueon deluxe hood. My substrate is black tahitian moon sand. The current fish I have are 10 penguin tetras, 2 sterbai corydoras, and 2 albino corydoras. Also, I have several live plants which seem to have a thin brown coating of slime. My decorations are a piece of driftwood and tiny mountain thing.

Does anybody know if my tank is okay for an otocinclus? Also, should I upgrade my filtration system, because my nitrates are like 80ppm and I do water changes every week.

Does anybody know if my tank is okay for an otocinclus? Also, should I upgrade my filtration system, because my nitrates are like 80ppm and I do water changes every week.

I would upgrade the tank, it's way over stocked for a 10g. I wouldn't add anything else. ALsoI welcome to AA. Your equipment an such are in the right order, but never do more then 5 tetras in a 10g

First thing you need to know: rule of thumb is 1 gallon per inch of fish. Sounds like you might have too many fish already.

Welcome!

Like the PP said, you are wayy too overstocked. You should think about upgrading to at least a 20 with your current stock before adding anything new.
Even with having double filtration you're still going to have to do massive weekly water changes to keep nitrates under control unless you upgrade or cut the stock to at least 1/2.
Penguin tetras and oto's should have something bigger anyways. The penguins are very active fish and the oto's are schoolers and most won't eat prepared food so if your tank isn't established and able to support a large amount of algae they will likely not survive

Would you recommend jumping to a 30 gallon? And how do I move all my stuff from the ten to the new tank?

Would you recommend jumping to a 30 gallon? And how do I move all my stuff from the ten to the new tank?

Yep, a 30 would be great. First you remove the filter pads ect, from filter and place in bags filled with tank water. Then removed all the decorations and equipment. Place the secs in a tub full of tank to keep whatever BB is on the alive. I set up the filter, heater ect in the tub and catch my fish an place them
In there also. Do you wanna use the same substrate. I would just rinse it very well in a bucket then add it to the new tank

I will probably get a new substrate (probably a tan sand). Also do you have any recommendations for low cost, but good quality 30g aquarium kits?
This is a picture of my current 10g
ForumRunner_20130818_112425.jpg

I will probably get a new substrate (probably a tan sand). Also do you have any recommendations for low cost, but good quality 30g aquarium kits?
This is a picture of my current 10g

Looks good. There might be a deal at petco and such, mabye Craigslist

Any particular brands? Also, I need good lighting for my plants.

Amazon has good deals on aquarium sand. Patsmart is overpriced on everything, so don't go there.

Can you put a layer of plant substrate below the sand?

Also, can I move all my live plants to the new aquarium. Btw thanks for all the help and good advice. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom