Hi, I'm new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slipperyphish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the site. I've had freshwater aquariums for about the last 10 years or so. I've had community tanks and my last tank was a 55 gal. cichlid tank. My newest project is going to be a 240 gal. planted/community tank, and I found your site looking for information on a wet/dry filter or sump system that I would like to make for the setup. I've never done live plants and I've never had either a wet/dry filter or a sump, so I may be getting in over my head on a tank that size, but that's what I'm here to find out.

I've been unable to find answers to some of my questions so far. It seems that every site I've looked at for sump filter info. is done on a marine aquarium in a pre-drilled tank with overflows, which I don't have. I'll go ahead and get my biggest questions out there.

Is a C02 system necessary for a planted aquarium?

How would a I set up a sump system on a tank with no overflows?

Would a refugium be necessary on a freshwater, planted aquarium and if so, what would go in it?

Thanks in advance,

SlipperyPhish

CO2 is not a must. It becomes a must after you reach the 2.5/3 watt a gallon range.

You can by HOB overflows. There are dozens of models and styles. Check out Dr. Foster and Smith or Big Al's.

No refugium needed, the plants will do it for you.

Welcome to AA!

If you post your specific questions in the appropriate forums, you'll tend to get more answers. not everyone peruses the welcome forum that often.

Welcome to AA!

If you post your specific questions in the appropriate forums, you'll tend to get more answers. not everyone peruses the welcome forum that often.

Thank you guys for the answers so far and I'll go ahead take these questions to the other areas of the forum.

Welcome to AA! If you are looking to simplify things a little you may want to look at canister filters if you are going freshwater planted. Most users on the form use canister filters in their freshwater planted setups and have great results. Also allows you to run other equipment inline and also diversify the media you use. I use canister filters on both my planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom