hi, just starting a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jager

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sooo, I got this live rock, I got a brittle star, 3+small red feather dusters, clear zoan ? 3 or 4, maybe tube snails (so small hard to tell) and a million bristle worms
WIN_20150621_150849.JPG

WIN_20150621_150902.JPG

WIN_20150621_150929.JPG

WIN_20150621_153312.jpg

Maybe not a million but more than I want for a small tank .. tried a container with food in it and some worm sized holes but they stay on the rock for now ...the tank has nothing in it yet, was planning on seahorse, feather dusters and maybe some star or daisy soft coral .... should probably just take the rock out but the feather dusters are cute ..... I just can't make up my mind ... can bristle worms be fine in a tank with sea horses ....

The rock in general is bad for sea horses. You should do your homework for the sea horse if you want to house them.. That "zoan" is aiptasia. Those vermetted snails are huge.

Well that's the last tine I go to that place .... I was just trying to cycle the tank now I have to start over .....thanks for the heads up on the aiptasia I couldn't find it anywhere just thought the shape kinda looked like a zoan I have been looking a bit asking my LSF but no one is very helpful giving me killer live rock (my job to inspect it I know) I am hoping that hear I will find the missing gaps to the research I am trying to do unsuccessful .. I know I am a long way from having a tank set up for any thing.. months and months away knowledge or not ... well maybe I'll just cook the tank turn it to 90 and run a uv light for a few weeks ... lol ... well any suggestions outer than pitch the rock which I might just do anyway

Well whats your goal? The rock isn't bad technically it just has hitchhikers. You cant keep the Seahorse though... So consider if that's hit or miss for you.

Well I definitely don't want cactus worm pricking me if I have to move something ... do you think I could cut the rock and save the feather dusters.. the picks are enlarged a bit the feather duster's maybe a fourth inch. probably more work than it would be worth to dremel the rock apart lol ..I have tried to trap the worms but they just stay on the rock ..a less local LFS suggested an arrow crab but I have read that they don't always do the trick.. and I think it would limit my choices even more considering how aggressive they are noted to be... I think it will all be a start from scratch .. I wanted black sand anyway....... when you said the rock was bad for sea horses you meant just the stuff on it or the whole rock, what l have read says live rock is fine in there tank or would you leave it out?

It looks like this rock is not too sharp, but ideally you want something soft for them to wrap up with and feel safe.. Everywhere.

There may also be hitchhikers in there that are bad for seahorses.

You can hammer that rock into pieces so you keep some of the filtration value.

Thanks... maybe I will post picks of the aquascape when it's done and you could give me your opinion

Back
Top Bottom