Hi, my first post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukehb21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there, this is my first post being a new member. im preparing to set up my first ever tank after some extensive research online. due to my lack of space i am going to be getting a 10gal shrimp tank (maybe a little smaller). Before i start i wanted to make sure i have everything ready for starting a new tank and possibly a new hobby!

My first tank is going to probably be red cherry shrimp because i have heard that they are more forgiving when it comes to new owners basically (though i hope i will do just fine for them). I will be doing a fishless cycle on my tank, and have proceeded to order a master test kit and a bottle of ammonia for the job. As i will be using tap water in my tank so i have also purchased a bottle of tetra safe water conditioner. Atm im not sure wether my tank will be new or off a friend that hasnt used his in years so i was wondering is there any difference in how long the cycle should take? or any tips on it?

I have decided to use a sponge filter for my tank but as for the plants i am not sure what to get, would fake plants be ok? or would i need real plants for the shrimp to feed on and if not what would they eat? another thing im not sure on is what substrate to use as everytime i look up a recommended one theres another forum post on it warning to avoid it. any ideas?

In addition, i am in the process of purchasing a large bucket, a siphon vacuum, a net, airline tubing, an air pump and some airline tubing suction holders. any ideas on a small light suitable for the tank i am aiming to get? and also am i missing anything else or doing anything wrong? All response is appreciated! :)

Welcome. It sounds like you've done your research.
Plastic plants will be ok. Maybe a small LED will work.

Back
Top Bottom