Hi! New around these parts :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byuftbl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off I am a betta lover. Only kind of fish I have owned-I've had about 10 over the years. Right now I have a 'rescue'-he was given to my uncle as a Christmas present (animals are NEVER good presents unless you've specifically asked for and are expecting one) and he didn't really want it, and I had a fish that died tragically (he got stuck under an aquarium decoration somehow overnight :( ) so they gave it to me.

I'll post more about him specifically elsewhere though. The details of his tank are-he has a 1 gallon tank with some fake silk plant decorations and small rocks for substrate. I give it a full water change weekly (as I've heard smaller tanks shouldn't be cycled but should be cleaned weekly so any leftover food and waste doesn't cause ammonia) He also has a small heater (it is about 5" in diameter and fits in the bottom of the tank. I also have a temperature strip to make sure his temperature is staying even. I keep it between 80-86 degrees. I use a combo of Nutrafin water conditioner and API stress coat conditioner, and once in a while also will put in Betta H20 conditioner by ZooMed with each water change.

For food I feed him a variety. I have two different brands of betta pellets, one of tropical fish pellet, betta flake food, freeze dried bloodworms (fed very sparingly), freeze dried daphnia, and freeze dried mysis shrimp.

Hi, I love bettas as well, and they got me started in this hobby.

One gallon isn't really the best for a Betta. A five gallon is usually considered the minimum here. I used to have them in bowls, and now have them in ten gallons. I'm never going back because their personality really shines in a bigger tank.

Anyway, welcome to AA, and enjoy the forum! ;)

I'm aware a bigger tank is better, but I am in a small basement apartment and must keep him in my room due to easier temp. regulation, and there really isn't a space to put a 5 gallon. But he seems to be very happy in his 1 gallon (it might actually be 1.5 so it is a tad bigger than just a gallon) tank. He is very active, eats like a pig (I have to resist his cute hungry dance to not overfeed him!), flares, tries to bite my finger. I also make sure to exercise him with a mirror at least once a day. He seems very happy.

Also he was raised in a half gallon tank until I rescued him and have my current tank-so to him its a lot bigger and he's active, whereas the other one he was in a cold tank and sat around.

Back
Top Bottom