Hi :) New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanner1990

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
I just started up my first salt water aquarium in the last 2 months and everything has been going pretty smoothly, a few ups and downs which is im sure expected. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 clarki clowns, yellow tang, orange spotted gobby, 1 peppermint shrimp and a couple snails and hermit crabs

I also have several corals including hammer, frogspawn, and rock of zoos
3 bubble tipped anemones (2 green and one beautiful red with green base) of course for the clowns

I always look at this forum for advice so i finally decided to join :)

I also have this white stuff growing on my live rock just started about a week ago, all levels are good so maybe just need some more bottom feeders or something
Ill try posting a pic

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hi
I just started up my first salt water aquarium in the last 2 months and everything has been going pretty smoothly, a few ups and downs which is im sure expected. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 clarki clowns, yellow tang, orange spotted gobby, 1 peppermint shrimp and a couple snails and hermit crabs

I also have several corals including hammer, frogspawn, and rock of zoos
3 bubble tipped anemones (2 green and one beautiful red with green base) of course for the clowns

I always look at this forum for advice so i finally decided to join :)

I also have this white stuff growing on my live rock just started about a week ago, all levels are good so maybe just need some more bottom feeders or something
Ill try posting a pic

30g should not have a tang... I don't know much but I've read it a 1000 times

30g should not have a tang... I don't know much but I've read it a 1000 times
Ok well its a small yellow tang and it is currently doing fine, smaller tanks stunt the growth and if he reaches a large enough size i will remove him and get him into a bigger tank
I asked for advice on the rock growth

Ok well its a small yellow tang and it is currently doing fine, smaller tanks stunt the growth and if he reaches a large enough size i will remove him and get him into a bigger tank
I asked for advice on the rock growth

Sorry... I'm not experienced enough to say anything it's just the one thing I knew in your topic that I considered...wrong?

:welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy

I'd post this in the saltwater section. I don't have an answer on what it is other than maybe some type of algae. Almost looks like sand rallying on it.

Welcome!! There right about the tang. Not a good idea. The white stuff on the rocks I'd need to see a picture, does it come off if you rub it with your finger? Is it fuzzy?

Welcome!! There right about the tang. Not a good idea. The white stuff on the rocks I'd need to see a picture, does it come off if you rub it with your finger? Is it fuzzy?

Apparently it's called coralline algae my friend said and he said it was good? It does come off the rock if u scrape it
I'm attaching a pic

Attachments

• image-3713161535.jpg
    image-3713161535.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 71
Hi! I'm new to reefing too! Got a 30 gal nano, getting my live rock and sand this weekend. Corraline algae can be white, if your parameters are good then I say it's a good thing. Good luck and post pics of your tank!

Hi! I'm new to reefing too! Got a 30 gal nano, getting my live rock and sand this weekend. Corraline algae can be white, if your parameters are good then I say it's a good thing. Good luck and post pics of your tank!

I have a bunch of pics on my profile
Check it out

Here's my tank, just leak testing now, have any advice on live rock, how much, where to get it? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2956972028.jpg
    image-2956972028.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 72
Nice start

Usually a pound per gallon so 30 g = 30 lb of rock
That's what I did anyway but I don't think u can have to much
U can get at lfs

I have like a 1 inch sand bed

A enheim canister filter and a protein skimmer
I wish I had a sump

I'm gonna do an inch too, I have a skimmer and I got the intank filter baskets to beef up my filtering. I think I'm going to run chemi pure elite and purigen. I'm going to try to breed seahorses : )

You can only keep them with certain other fish and corals, low flow and good water. I figure if I change 5 gal a week my water will stay pretty clean. They're fun to watch! I'll post pics when I get there. I'm thinking about a refugium to raise pods that they can eat. First I have to cycle my tank! How's yours going?

Back
Top Bottom