Hi There!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm likely going to be getting a 46 gallon tank soon. Just such a beautiful tank and stand... I was considering a lot of fish, really, and I may have possibly decided on the following:

12 harlequin rasbora
12 cherry barb
1 angelfish

I'd like to have the beautiful school of harlequins, the fun cherry barbs doing their thing, and the angelfish as sort of beautiful "centerpiece" for the tank... but would that setup work?

I can find absolutely nothing that would indicate that the harlequins and cherry barbs wouldn't get along, but the angelfish.... Aside from "angelfish eat neons," though, it's harder to find information about other possible fish that might or might not do well with an angelfish. The cherry barbs and harlequins may be bigger than piddlin' little neons, but are they bigger by enough that they would be all right alongside an angelfish? And if the angelfish wouldn't be a good idea, is there another "beautiful centerpiece"-type fish that would be more compatible?

As well, would the fish fit properly in that tank? Exact stocking opinions seems to vary from person to person, as to what's too much... would that be low enough? Borderline? Plainly too high and I'm just too inexperienced to notice it's too high? Most of the fish may be small, but I'm sure they can add up.

Oh, and because someone's going to say it, yes, I know of cycling the tank first, and that you have to actually add ammonia first and test ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. 'Cause someone will probably ask ;)

First off, welcome to AA! Glad you joined!

I think the barbs would nip the angelfish fins. As far as I know, all barbs are fin nippers lol.
I have the same rasboras, and I like them a lot!

Thank you!

Yes, it's a bowfront.

And I'm not in a rush... still have plenty of time to think about it, or what combination would work well.

Welcome!!
Depending on the angel fish you will be ok I have one that tried to eat a smaller cory one about 1 1/4 inch but he stopped trying. My other angel is very mild mannered. They are in separate tanks they don't get along.
Are these the cherry barbs you are looking at Cherry Barb ?

They are pretty safe when it comes to barbs I had thought about getting them at one time instead I ended up with bleeding heart tetras.

Back
Top Bottom