Hi There!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdventureLuke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I came across this site while trying to figure out what could be wrong with my Betta, Luke. But I'll save that for another forum. Glad to join! :):fish1:

I hope you can help.

I got him a few weeks ago, and he's been fine, I guess. My mom says we don't need a big tank or heater or anything like that because "we've had bettas for years in vases and they've been fine", but lately he swims around really erratically, but nothing seems to be wrong with him on the outside... Should I do anything?

I typed this up for use on social media but it still applies.. Bowl, vase, same thing.

Hello! Me and *deleted* are here to inform you that a bowl is not a suitable home for a betta long term. It is much too small for them to thrive and they should have a filter and a heater. The filter is because without it, there is nothing to pick up fish waste and requires much more manual work to remove the waste via water changes and vacuuming. In a bowl, that usually involves removing the betta for this process. removing fish from their home puts a lot of stress on them. In which case a 2 gallon or more aquarium is recommended (as a common consensus among fish keepers) as suitable to maintain a healthy betta for its whole life. A heater is also recommended unless your living space is 80 degrees, because that is the optimal temp for them. Without one, it's like putting your betta in a freezer. It's not enjoyable to them or you, because when a fish is cold, they move less often. These are all recommended to help make the betta happier and improve their overall health. Just like you research a car before you buy it, same applies to fish.

Caleb

What size tank should I buy? I really want what's best for him.

Is BettaMin a good food source for him? We also have frozen bloodworms and stuff like that.

What size tank should I buy? I really want what's best for him.

Is BettaMin a good food source for him? We also have frozen bloodworms and stuff like that.

IMO no less than 2.5g preferably 5g or more. I keep mine in a 10g.

Bettamin is fine but if you are willing dish out some more, New Life Spectrum is top of the line for healthy fish foods and they have a betta formula. Mine love it.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom