Hi There

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christian3886

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! Glad to be a part of this forum. I have so much to learn!

My name is Christian and I am from Alabama. I recently bought a 36 gallon bow front TopFin tank with all of the accessories instead of the cabinet (HUGE REGRET).

I am now changing out pretty much everything that came with it. Filter is terrible so I am going with a Tidal 35 filling it with sponges and seeing if that does well.

Bought an ornament with an air pump and will be taking those back as well and replacing it with a wave maker.

Ph level is at 7 and my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all at 0. The tank was started on 3-11-21 and I have introduced fish. My kids (and I) were just so anxious. So I have 5 Glofish Tetras and 3 Mollies (Another mistake I know).

I put in just a few live plants. My biggest issue is this horrible top and light. I have no idea what to do about it. It's just plastic garbage. I am trying to learn more about lighting so this will have to do for now. However I really don't want to take this whole top off every single time I want to do anything in the tank.

So there you have it. That's about all I can say about my new found tank life. I look forward to learning from you all and meeting you in chats. Certainly I welcome any feedback on anything you see above (ANYTHING AT ALL). I take criticism well so feel free to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Cheers!

Greetings, I just joined this site as well, I started where you are about 14 months ago, same and different mistakes, I went with live plants as well, I think it looks more natural and it's better for your fish. I will only say that you will want to get some sort of liquid plant supplement for your plants, I am using Flourish by Seachem, following the directions on the bottle, same bottle in use after a year ! I will only add that I am just now setting up a little quarantine/hospital tank for future medicine administration and new fish additions, keep up with your water changes, it's good that you know your water parameters. Good luck ! Your mollies will multiply, multiply, multiply. Get a cory catfish group, 4 or more. They are fun to watch. I have 10 pepper corys in one tank, started with 4, I have 12 panda corys in another tank, I started with 4 of them as well. The corys are total keepers, full of personality .

Wow so you already have that many tanks? That is awesome.

I already one week in have found that I want so much more than what I have! lol. Bigger tank, different substrate, different aqua scape, blah blah blah. But this will be my learning tank for sure. I am excited. Hope the enthusiasm stays. I realize now how addicting this can be!

Wow so you already have that many tanks? That is awesome.

I already one week in have found that I want so much more than what I have! lol. Bigger tank, different substrate, different aqua scape, blah blah blah. But this will be my learning tank for sure. I am excited. Hope the enthusiasm stays. I realize now how addicting this can be!

Hey Christian, I had inherited a couple of those tanks before I went all in during "Camp Corona" last year ! I will say this : I would stick with a 20 gallon tank minimum if possible, no more trouble and the water quality will be more stable over time.

I may not have started so many tanks if it weren't for "Camp Corona !" I am looking to
consolidate my fish clan in a larger community aquarium sometime this year, I know it can be done . My "show off " aquarium will be a corner 40Plus aquarium in my den.

Best to you and your young ones, they will remember your efforts forever !

Best,

Brooks

Back
Top Bottom