Hi to everyone :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platybabe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Happy New Year to u all!

My story with fish goes back abt 2.5 yrs when we decided to get our daughter GOLDFISH for her 5th bday. Not really doing any research on it (thinking HOW hard can keeping a few fish be?) went to the shop, bought the tank (54 liters), all the equipment + 8 goldfish at the same time. What a load of rubbish that was, to think back (sales assistant clearly didnt know anything abt fish but neither did we :( ). Needless to say what happened to the fish- they all died ofcourse. Partly cos the tank wasnt even ready, partly cos there was way too many fish to begin with, partly cos the stores fish had parasites on them. Get quite uneasy feeling when thinking back at the time when all fish were dead and we turned the tank off- it was filled w parasites :eek: Oh and when i found one parasite on my fish and it unattached from it, i took a pic and brought it w me to the same PetStore, they said it was a BABY of a "cleaning fish" that they had in the tank.... Been avoiding that PetStore from then on, as u can imagine, even i wasnt that stupid to believe them....

After that i thought- no more fish in our household... Well, a good few months passed and we tired again and again and again. All the time the fish kept dying and i just couldnt figure out why.

Until then recently i discovered that the filter we were sold at the time when we bought the fishtank was wrong- was for alot smaller tank :confused: Probably that was part of them dying...

So i went out and bought a bigger filter, set up the tank and let it run abt 3 weeks before buying fish. Used "Filterstart" in it. Since i had very bad luck with goldfish i went for tropical fish this time... Bought 4 platys. Unfortunatley, 3 of them died very quickly (my heart sank!) but one of them is still alive at the moment, so im trying to keep the poor thing alive as well as i can. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since i got the fish. After a week ammonia levels went down to 0, ever since have been "fighting" w "white sopt"+ high nitrite levels. Been doing alot of water changes (every day for last 5 days, today even 2 times cos it keeps going back to 1, after the last change its between 0-0.25). My concern is, is it maybe too much water changing for the fish? Altough she(he?) seems in better form after the water changes (swimming around, not just up the top gasping air). Cos it has white spot, ive turned the temp up to 28-29degrees and have put "Interpet Anti White Spot" into the water- 2 doses (Monday / Thursday), but since changing the water so much each day, dont think the treatment is working as well as it should cos fish still has some white spots on it :(

Gosh, its a long story i know, but as i said, im nearly on the edge of giving it all up but there is still the determination in me to make it work! My other half is already calling me "water changing maniac" running between the kitchen and livingroom w the water buckets :D But i really hope our little platy "Sunny" (as the kids named it) will make it!

Any advice very welcome :)
(sry if theres any mistakes in writing, english isnt my 1st language..)

Thanks!

Still having trouble w nitrites, but at least it doesnt go over 1. Did twice PWC again today, after 30mins of changing it was down to 0, probably will rise again tough.
Just hoping Sunny will make it, seems ok at the moment :)

Looks like the nitrite levels are finally going down! Did a PWC this morning, was at 1, now, by the evening it has raised only to 0.25 or even less (nearly that lovely bright blue colour)! Now only thing is to fight off the "white sopt". got aquarium salt today and turned tem up to 30 and put 1st dose in... hope this works....

Back
Top Bottom