High ammonia levels no nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJenkins1710

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. Im setting up an old 30 gallon tank. Currentlly letting it cycle. Im still relatively new to this but i do know the basics. But its been about 3 weeks now and my api liquid kit is showing crazy amonia spike. Like im talking 8ppm maybe higher. Last week the water was super cloudy which i assume was just new tank syndrome. I've not put a single thing in it besides gravel which i washed off. But i figured with such high results i should be seeing nitrites but nothing so far. Im trying to be patient but it s rather frustrating. I have a gravel filter. Im probably just being impatient but want to make sure my tank is atleast trying to cylce. I hear it can take about 6 to 7 weeks to get a tank to cycle.

4 to 6 weeks for a fishless cycle is typical. Can take longer though, every cycle us different.

A few questions and a few points to raise.

- How have you got your ammonia upto 8ppm? Dosing ammonia? Fish food?

- Have you done anything to seed the filter? Best method is introducing some filter media from an established filter (perhaps you have a friend that keeps fish). Next best option would be a biological booster like Dr Tims One + only or seachem stability. If you dont do anything to seed the filter your 4 to 6 weeks will be more like 3 months.

- 8ppm of ammonia is way too high. Concentrations above 6ppm is generally accepted will kill off any beneficial bacteria. 4ppm is a more normal concentration to start off a fishless cycle. 50% water change is needed to bring that level down.

This is the guide to fishless cycle that people are normally pointed to.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

If you have high ammonia and no nitrite, it means that your tank has not fully cycled. It can take quite many weeks for a tank to fully cycle.

get some bio safe start stuff works great been using it for years

Back
Top Bottom