High nitrates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fotonutz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been an aquarist for some years and have never had an issue with high nitrates-(Readings in the 80's) I Have 2 20 gallon tanks-Lightly planted not overstocked- 30% + WC weekly-0 nitrates in the water supply-I use both undegravel and hang on filters-I thoroughly vacuum the gravel with each WC-I'm at a loss! Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the community.

Have you tested the water straight out of the tap to get a feel for the possible basis of the issue?

Changed /added foods in the last couple months? Removed / done a big cut of stems plants /live plants?

Is your tank cycled and have you changed / removed an old filter pad or changed filter lately? If you have washed a filter pad in chlorinated tap water you may have killed off a bunch or all of the beneficial bacteria (BB).

No measurable nitrates in the water supply-No changes to food-I rinse the filter media in removed tank water-These tanks are approximately 2 years old and have normal levels of ammonia and nitrates-I haven't made any changes to the plants-

Well maybe just start upping the % and frequency of pwc"s at least to get the numbers in check. Flake food and some high quality protein foods break down quickly and add to a poor water quality.

What are you feeding?

Well maybe just start upping the % and frequency of pwc"s at least to get the numbers in check. Flake food and some high quality protein foods break down quickly and add to a poor water quality.

What are you feeding?

Some frozen b. shrimp and T.Min color formula-I'm a light feeder-No more than is eaten in five minutes-

Well if no dying plants, and no dead fish rotting off in the corner, I'd do more pwc and %.

Those are all the usual issues previously mentioned. What about under the UG filter?

Well if no dying plants, and no dead fish rotting off in the corner, I'd do more pwc and %.

Those are all the usual issues previously mentioned. What about under the UG filter?
Not much detrius-I've removed the tubes and worked a suction tube underneath the plates-

Confounding situation fotonutz. To help the fish just keep up on the pwc and keep the nitrates in a safe level. I can't think of anything else. You have seemed to address all the most usual issues.

Back
Top Bottom