High ph level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charmane122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had to do a lot of water changes to get rid of high ammonia in my tank. My ammonia level is perfect now, but my ph is so high. What can I do to bring it down. Thks!

What type of fish do you and what is your ideal pH that you want to be at? Also how high is high? Stability is more important IMO. fluctuating pH is what will reek havoc.

I have mollies and tri color sharks. I would like it to be nuetral

I have mollies and tri color sharks. I would like it to be nuetral

Why?? There's absolutely nothing wrong with 7.6. And, if you attempt to adjust it, especially chemically, you're far likely to do more harm than good. Chemically lowered pH almost always bounces back to what it was due to the buffers in the water. About the only stable way to lower pH is to start blending your pwc's with RO water to lower the KH. My well water's so hard, it's what I have to do. I blend 75% RO to 25% tap to maintain my pH at 7.6.

I'd say leave well enough alone. As long as you're stable, the fish will adjust. Most LFS's in my area use city water, and they run 7.8 to 8.4.

A pH of 7.6 is not high. Leave it be. It is a lot easier to use the water you have than to try and play at water chemist. Mollies typically do better in hard alkaline water. Regardless, as already mentioned, stability is better than "ideal" and is much easier to maintain if you don't play with the water.

Back
Top Bottom