hii loow (snl joke)...... new 55 gallon tank cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nacho1cheese

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyonehttp://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif im new here but have some questions....i just bought a tank from someone online but it was used for reptiles so i will make sure to wash it thoroughly before i do anything. i was wondering if i add rocks from my current tank, some plants and a filter will it cycle faster? how long? anymore tips? anything helps thanks http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

reptile tank

The tank will definately cycle faster if you use the rocks from your established aquarium. But, first thing first, the tank that housed reptiles. Make sure you check the silicon seals. Reptiles have claws (unless it was snakes:) and tend to scratch at the tank. Also, silicon dries out after a while. I suggest you put the tank in the bathtub and fill it with water to make sure it's water tight. You may need to scrape out the old silicon and replace it. It's kinda a pain but better than setting the tank up only to have it leak out and flood your house.

I did this a few years ago. I had an old tank that I'd housed a green iguana in. The silicon was junk. I just looked on line for how to replace the silicon seals. Good luck.
:fish2:

Ooh right I didn't even think about that, thanks. Will I have to replace the entire silicone or just put some over the current one

You have to scrape out the old with a razor blade and repace it. Make sure you buy silicone that is made for aquariums and not just stuff for household use. It's toxic to fish

maryannr said:
The tank will definately cycle faster if you use the rocks from your established aquarium. But, first thing first, the tank that housed reptiles. Make sure you check the silicon seals. Reptiles have claws (unless it was snakes:) and tend to scratch at the tank. Also, silicon dries out after a while. I suggest you put the tank in the bathtub and fill it with water to make sure it's water tight. You may need to scrape out the old silicon and replace it. It's kinda a pain but better than setting the tank up only to have it leak out and flood your house.

I did this a few years ago. I had an old tank that I'd housed a green iguana in. The silicon was junk. I just looked on line for how to replace the silicon seals. Good luck.
:fish2:

A guy is trying to sell me his 150 gal but he's resealing the entire thing and to be honest im kinda scared to buy it due to leaks. I told him I wanted it filled for about 2 weeks with the filter attached to see if it can uphold the pressure and movement of the water. What do u think?

Back
Top Bottom