How i am new to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I have a coldwater tank im finding it hard to see any threads about coldwater tanks.

I have 12 fish in a large coldwater tank.

2 Goldfish

1 Black Moor Dave
1 Oranda Hoggle

and 10 temperate fish

4 Danios

A glowlight Danio Sharky
A Leopard Danio George
A zebra Danio Jaws
A light Zebra Danio Don Lino

2 Platys

Black with Orange Delboy
Orange Rodney

3 Cloud Minnows Bob, Spec and Maleficent

and 1 Hongkong Pleco Falcor

Hi I have posted to get some advice about whether I have overcrowded my tank.
as im not sure as fairly new to fish keeping. My tank is cycled and 4months old, I have a 3ft 3inches long tank by 1ft and a half wide and tall.

I think that's about 25 gallons but im not sure. I have an internal filter with aeration all fish are healthy and get on v.well, stats are good and I do weekly 30% water changes. I DONT intend to get anymore fish, this is my completed tank

Emma

Hi I have posted to get some advice about whether I have overcrowded my tank.
as im not sure as fairly new to fish keeping. My tank is cycled and 4months old, I have a 3ft 3inches long tank by 1ft and a half wide and tall.

I think that's about 25 gallons but im not sure. I have an internal filter with aeration all fish are healthy and get on v.well, stats are good and I do weekly 30% water changes. I DONT intend to get anymore fish, this is my completed tank

Emma

I would remove the goldfish for sure since they need 30g for the first fancy and 10g for each other one and your tank is around 40g

Thanks cool, the goldfish are quite young still and I was told they need 10 gallons each. I have another 3ft tank, so I was thinking that when they are a bit older I would move all the temperate fish into the slightly smaller 3ft tank and make it a tropical tank so my Platys reach their potential and keep the two goldfish alone in the tank they are currently in. Would that work? They are soo happy all together I feel id like to keep them all together for little longer.

I'd hate to split the Oranda and Black Moor up so if I do have to invest in a 4ft tank or something bigger I will when they are a little older. They are babies still.

I have a spare 3ft tank I could put temperate fish in, just need to get a filter and heater. If you really think my goldfish cant be happy I will do this asap but will my two goldfish be ok if its just the two of them in the 40gallon tank. I don't want to split blackmoor and oranda up.

I have a spare 3ft tank I could put temperate fish in, just need to get a filter and heater. If you really think my goldfish cant be happy I will do this asap but will my two goldfish be ok if its just the two of them in the 40gallon tank. I don't want to split blackmoor and oranda up.

Yes move everything except the goldys to the spare tank with the heater and leave the goldys in the current tank but before you do, do you know about cycling a tank?

Yeah I do, before I move the temperate fish I would have to set up a new filter I would steal some of the water from the current tank and put into new tank and let It cycle and maybe move the fish over one or two at a time. Maybe starting with the Danios cause they are quite a hardy fish. With my stock as it is, if I moved 4 danios, 3minnows and 2platys to the slightly smaller tank which is 3ftx1ftx1ft. Would I beable to get a couple more of the danios and minnows so they had a few more friends to school with. Could I leave the Pleco with the goldfish cause I heard they like quite cold temperatures?

Yeah I do, before I move the temperate fish I would have to set up a new filter I would steal some of the water from the current tank and put into new tank and let It cycle and maybe move the fish over one or two at a time. Maybe starting with the Danios cause they are quite a hardy fish. With my stock as it is, if I moved 4 danios, 3minnows and 2platys to the slightly smaller tank which is 3ftx1ftx1ft. Would I beable to get a couple more of the danios and minnows so they had a few more friends to school with. Could I leave the Pleco with the goldfish cause I heard they like quite cold temperatures?

No tank water doesn't hold any bacteria that keeps your tank cycles. Go ahead and set it up but you need some media from your cycles filter to get the new set-up cycled. Put the pleco with the other fish because I doubt your cycled filter can handle the bioload of 2 goldfish and a pleco. They are all poop machines and have massive bioloads.

What filter is on the cycled tank?
What filter is going on the new set-up?

My Platys eat and poop more than any other fish ive ever known lol. I have a EHEIM pick up internal filter. Has a sponge. No carbon filter. has a venture air diffusor. I don't have a new filter yet for spare tank but id probably go for same one. Will Pleco be ok in a Tropical tank? I always rinse sponge in old tank water when I clean it.

My Platys eat and poop more than any other fish ive ever known lol. I have a EHEIM pick up internal filter. Has a sponge. No carbon filter. has a venture air diffusor. I don't have a new filter yet for spare tank but id probably go for same one. Will Pleco be ok in a Tropical tank? I always rinse sponge in old tank water when I clean it.

Then your doing everything right. Yes the pleco will be okay for now. What kind of pleco is it?

I have never had a Tropical Tank so I would probably get some advice on that at a local aquatic centre ie best filter, best heater

I have never had a Tropical Tank so I would probably get some advice on that at a local aquatic centre ie best filter, best heater

I'm not sure what your aquatic center is but take everything they say with a grain of salt. They will tell you stuff just to get you to buy more. Don't buy anymore fish either! I would get a 200w heater and a filter that does around 400gph

I'm surprised I went to the Aquatic Design Centre on Great Portland Street and told the exactly what I had in my tank and I went in there just to buy one danio and they encouraged me to get another even though they should have know my tank had goldys in it. So your saying when I move the 10 temprate fish into the other tank that I should get any more and 10 is enough ? Minnows are tiny tho like neon tetra I only have 3

I'm surprised I went to the Aquatic Design Centre on Great Portland Street and told the exactly what I had in my tank and I went in there just to buy one danio and they encouraged me to get another even though they should have know my tank had goldys in it. So your saying when I move the 10 temprate fish into the other tank that I should get any more and 10 is enough ? Minnows are tiny tho like neon tetra I only have 3

What size tank will it be? No more fish in the goldy tank for sure.

Ok il leave Dave and Hoggle the black moor and oranda in 40 gallon and put other 10 in a New Tropical tank once I get filter and not get anymore for tropical tank, Should I cycle with or with out fish in it? cause ive had mixed advice on this. I did it without fish and slowly introduced after a few days my black moor was first fish in this tank and his still here happy as larry.

Ok il leave Dave and Hoggle the black moor and oranda in 40 gallon and put other 10 in a New Tropical tank once I get filter and not get anymore for tropical tank, Should I cycle with or with out fish in it? cause ive had mixed advice on this. I did it without fish and slowly introduced after a few days my black moor was first fish in this tank and his still here happy as larry.

Okay that's about a 20g tank. I would keep what you have and wait before adding more. Your gonna need to transfer media from your cycled filter to your new filter so it cycles way way faster. Do you have an API master test kit?

Back
Top Bottom