How often should I feed my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatalieFinniss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, how often should I feed my fish. I've read once a day, twice a day but where I bought my fish said every two days. Thank you

All my fish get fed twice a day, except a Sunday when they get a blanched pea except my elephant nose who wouldn't appreciate one [emoji4]

I did try a couple of peas in my tank, they spat them out haha. I've been feeding mine once a day and the woof it all up but I have quite a bit of algae in the tank and wondered if it was because i was over feeding. I cleaned them out last Monday and already their tank is filthyIMG_1476646843.019880.jpg

I did try a couple of peas in my tank, they spat them out haha. I've been feeding mine once a day and the woof it all up but I have quite a bit of algae in the tank and wondered if it was because i was over feeding. I cleaned them out last Monday and already their tank is filthyView attachment 290064
Maybe your lights are on too long? That can cause algae, I had that problem with one off my tank's and I just cut back the time I had them on. I only feed what they can eat in a minute or mine would eat till they pop!
How often do you change the water?

I've been doing a partial water change every two weeks with a filter change every 4th week but I've prepared some water to do a partial change tomorrrow and I think I'm going to start doing a water change weekly. I only put my lights on from 7 to 11 Monday to Friday but they are on all day of a weekend. I put them on when I'm home. I turn them off of a night. Do you test your water? Sorry I'm going to ask another question now, my pH levels are high but all my other tests are fine. Is this something that could be connected?

I do weekly changes always feel it's better for the fish.
Yeah I test my water, not as often as I use to but I like to see what's going on. How high is your ph?

It was blue IMG_1476650960.511421.jpg so very high. I'd been using the paper ones but had heard they were not very accurate so bought the API one. I think it's probably has always been high but I'm just aware of it now and now I'm worried that it's hurting my fish.

Fish can adjust to pH so I wouldn't go adding anything to the tank. Just keep up your water changes, weekly would be better for them. And I don't think that would cause algae.
Does the tank get direct sunlight?
If your nitrate is high that can cause algae as well maybe check that. [emoji4]

No, I have a sun blind at the window which is always down as the room is south facing. I did just read that algae thrives in alkaline so I would imagine that isn't helping. I'm going to start doing a partial water change weekly and keep a close eye on the water. I won't add anything as that can cause more harm if the pH level drops too quickly. I think my tap water is very alkaline which doesn't help. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it x

30 seconds twice a day keeps the doctor away I like to say. Im a poet and I didn't even know it.

Back
Top Bottom