I finally filled the tank!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I am pleased to say that I have finally filled an empty 29gal tank. I have 30lbs of LR, 20lbs of live sand, several different mushrooms, toadstool, fox coral, rose brain coral, chili pepper, and a few plates.

I visited a LFS and learned how to take a slow approach. I have had it up for 5 months now, and do a 10% water change every 2 weeks.

I have 2 black clowns, 2 fire gobbies, a Kauden Cardinal, conch, fire shrimp, and a peppermint.... not to forget about a dozen small hermit crabs and several types of snails.

I did inherit a few hitchhiker crabs, but I am working that number down. Probably at 5 still remaining :(

I have a powercompact, and a few smaller powerheads along with a protein skimmer. There is a filter pump, but nothing inside. Just moving some water, and in case I need to add something to the tank's system.

Things are coming along quite nicely. The LR I bought had some great coraline algea growing, and the back wall is starting to show good signs of growth.

I know I have one, if not 2 snapping shrimp. And man, these things freaked me out in the beginning. I figured for sure, my tank couldn't handle the weight or something, and it was coming apart!! Until I started reading forums and learning what I could potentially have. Either way, I found this site and thought the atmosphere was right on. I look forward to using this site more often.

Josh

click "go advanced" at the bottom where you reply... when it brings up another box, click on the paper clip icon, then browse your computer for the file or insert the link to the hosting site where the pics are... then hit "preview post" to make sure thats what you want, then submit and we will all be able to see :)

so let's see if I can get this photo to come up.....
Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

• tank Jan 6 2010.jpg
    tank Jan 6 2010.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 91
Snapping shirmp or mantis shrimp? I remember discovery this beautiful shrimp, manitis shrimp, in my aquarium and thinking how lucky I was to have obtained the shrimp free from my live rock. I thought it had died during the curing stage, but about 40 dead snails later I was able to remove it from the aquarium. They are very loud and can smash a snail shell very easiy. I tried to keep the one I caught in a breeder cage and it was able to break out a section of plastic to escape.

Thanks for the feedback. I am very fortunate to have a LFS that works with very quality products.

I went there about 6 months ago, explaining what I had and what I wanted to achieve. I was told to take as much time as possible, and never thought that was going to be such a tough challenge.

It started with some excellent live rock. Now there I draw backs, as I have learned. For every piece of coral that is growing on rocks, I have twice as many hitchhikers. Some have turned out ok, but most of them should not be there. I have caught a few crabs so far, but not enough. On a positive side, one rock has a frogspawn sprouting, along with a few mushrooms that are multiplying. This rock also has a single snake polyp, and it is very small. I have located a few small clams (or something) growing alongside some rock pieces. They may have been there all along, I have no clue :)

I have been doing WC's every two weeks with 10%. I have found that my salinity is a little high, so I am reducing salt amounts each water change. I try to keep my level topped off as often as I can.

Feeding is already becoming a serious schedule. The fish aren't as bad, but these clowns act like they have never eaten before!! I enjoy feeding the 2 plates I have, plus the brain coral. I have been cutting small shrimp pieces for them, and my friends are amazed by the eating techniques. (I am still am too)

Here is a picture from the last feeding.... those darn clowns again!

Attachments

• clown looking for scraps with brain coral 01.jpg
    clown looking for scraps with brain coral 01.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 303
Back
Top Bottom