I Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of interest, how did you come by all those adult fish? Were they traded in at an lfs or do you know someone that was shutting down their tank?
If you could post a full tank shot so we can see the layout and offer more meaningful advice.
I understand that you are new to fish keeping, and want to do the best for your fish- that's what AA is here for :)

Out of interest, how did you come by all those adult fish? Were they traded in at an lfs or do you know someone that was shutting down their tank?
If you could post a full tank shot so we can see the layout and offer more meaningful advice.
I understand that you are new to fish keeping, and want to do the best for your fish- that's what AA is here for :)

Hello Cactuspixie.

Apart from the Panda Corys. I purchased the total tank set up, 2nd hand through our local paper advertisment, including fish. The gentleman who sold me the set up informed me that he had this tank for over 2 yrs. I have researched the fish in question, and I am aware they are of adult size. As stated previously. I am doing a 50% water change on a weekly basis, using water from the tank to clean internal filter and cleaning gravel with water vaccum, ete,etc. Plants look OK. Centre piece bogwood also OK plant attached.

The only Item I replaced was the old EIHM 54 Internal Filter for the more powerful FLUVAL U2 Internal Filter.

weather they are fully grown or not your overstocked. look check out this website aqadvisor.com just to make sure my hunch is right.

Hi Corylover.

Thank you for your advice. I have checked out the Aqadvisor.com, and now I am worried.

Apart from the Cory Pandas, which I recently added. The Tank Set-up, I purchased 2nd hand, including fish. I was informed the tank set up was 2yrs old, and fish have been in the set up for the whole duration.

They may appear to be fine, but if given the chance in a bigger tank, I think they would love it more. More room to stretch the fins=)

Hi Krissycakes.

Please advise tank size. I can let you know that this set up was purchased 2nd hand from local paper advertisment. I was informed from seller that fish in question are over 24 months old.

Apart from Cory Pandas which, I recently added. I also changed the old Eihm 54 internal filter to a FLUVAL U2. I also do a regular 50% water change as recommended.

If you did research the fish and their adult sizes, and decided what fish you wanted to keep in the 2nd hand tank, and went to aqadvisor.com you should know what is the best size for your fish. Aqadvisor is very helpful. But I am not sure of the fish you have at the moment.

If you did research the fish and their adult sizes, and decided what fish you wanted to keep in the 2nd hand tank, and went to aqadvisor.com you should know what is the best size for your fish. Aqadvisor is very helpful. But I am not sure of the fish you have at the moment.

7 Neon Tetra / 5 Lemon Tetra / 4 Panda Cory / 1 Bronze Catfish / 1 Spotted Hoplo / 2 Harlequin Rasbora / 6 Rosy Tetra.

I would say get a 45g, but if they are fine now and your bronze catfish doesn't get lonely, you might need a bit more filtration for the amount of fish in the 10G, small area, faster time to get dirty

I would say get a 45g, but if they are fine now and your bronze catfish doesn't get lonely, you might need a bit more filtration for the amount of fish in the 10G, small area, faster time to get dirty

Thank you, Krissycakes.:)

yes I had around that same amount of fish in my 40g and it said I was overstocked. so I took my then 7 mosquito fish into my 10g. then that dropped it enough to add 2 rescued fish. I would defiantly recommend adding another filter. make sure that you have something to ease the outflow like a fake plant you can stick to the glass in front of it. your neons are going to be your cue fish. for example since I got a 30g the mosquito fish went in there. then I got 5 neons for the 10g to keep a rescued cardinal company. until he passed due to severely damage to his tail fin. when I looked in there yesterday they were a little pale in color and not as bright. so I checked the parameters and the carbon and nitrite was a little high. while in my main tank my tiger barbs were also dull. and that was due to ph. so I did a 50% water change for the 10g with water from my main. and the water from the 10g went into the main. today both the neons and the tiger barbs are back to normal coloration. so if you for now till you get another tank do the water changes and if u see your neons color change, immediately check the water parameters and fix what needs to be done. ask around on this site if anyone has a 40g they are willing to part with or ask your LFS see if you can do a down payment on one and get it setup. then that way you can pay him or her off little by little. I know my LFS would do that. but mine is a small business owner not a big store like petco or petsmart so I don't know if you could do that its worth a shot though. as long as you get a constant paycheck you might be able to do that.

yes I had around that same amount of fish in my 40g and it said I was overstocked. so I took my then 7 mosquito fish into my 10g. then that dropped it enough to add 2 rescued fish. I would defiantly recommend adding another filter. make sure that you have something to ease the outflow like a fake plant you can stick to the glass in front of it. your neons are going to be your cue fish. for example since I got a 30g the mosquito fish went in there. then I got 5 neons for the 10g to keep a rescued cardinal company. until he passed due to severely damage to his tail fin. when I looked in there yesterday they were a little pale in color and not as bright. so I checked the parameters and the carbon and nitrite was a little high. while in my main tank my tiger barbs were also dull. and that was due to ph. so I did a 50% water change for the 10g with water from my main. and the water from the 10g went into the main. today both the neons and the tiger barbs are back to normal coloration. so if you for now till you get another tank do the water changes and if u see your neons color change, immediately check the water parameters and fix what needs to be done. ask around on this site if anyone has a 40g they are willing to part with or ask your LFS see if you can do a down payment on one and get it setup. then that way you can pay him or her off little by little. I know my LFS would do that. but mine is a small business owner not a big store like petco or petsmart so I don't know if you could do that its worth a shot though. as long as you get a constant paycheck you might be able to do that.
Hi. Once again thank you for the valid advice. I appreciate your honest input. I will be purchasing 40g tank shortly and will follow your kind instructions.

your welcome hopefully we can get pics of your new tank XD. also run 2 filters on the 40g helps with a lot of cleaning and just better in the long run.

A dog can live every day in a small kennel but do you think it will be happy and playful? Its very difficult to look at a fish and know is it happy content or miserable.

Before I give any advise on what I would do can you share your ammonia nirite and nitrate levels as well as some pics of the tank so we can all fully understand and advise you better?

A dog can live every day in a small kennel but do you think it will be happy and playful? Its very difficult to look at a fish and know is it happy content or miserable.

Before I give any advise on what I would do can you share your ammonia nirite and nitrate levels as well as some pics of the tank so we can all fully understand and advise you better?

Hi Brad.

Thank you for your input. Appreciate it.

You will here from me shortly regarding Nitrate / Ammonia levels plus pics.

your welcome hopefully we can get pics of your new tank XD. also run 2 filters on the 40g helps with a lot of cleaning and just better in the long run.

Hi Corylover.

Just to let you know that my New Juwel Rio 180 tank is now thriving with 2 filter internal systems keeping everything healthy and crystal clear. 20% regular weekly change.

All fish are very healthy, and here is run down of what I have.

Cory Catfish - Bronze Catfish - Albino Catfish - Spotted Hoplo.

Neon Tetras - Yellow Gourami - Gold Anglefish - Zebra Danios - Lemon Tetra - Rosy Tetra - Harlequin Raspbora - Tiger Barb

wow XD they should be all happy with that space just keep an eye on the neons cause the tiger barbs and angles might eat them

wow XD they should be all happy with that space just keep an eye on the neons cause the tiger barbs and angles might eat them

Thank you. I will, and thank you once again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom