i need help like yesterday lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chochanator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello im new i have question i have 75 gl tank that fill with driftwood it got really dark , i took that driftwood out , no fish in it yet what can i do to clear the water . at this point just thinking of empty that tank washed and filling it up again , really fustrated

Hey!
You could do a 50% water change to dilute the colour, that would help a lot!
The colour that driftwood releases are called tannins and they are harmless to fish :)

thank u , so you think i shouldnt empty that thing and start from scratch i really hate that murki look

I wouldn't. Seems like a lot of hassle when it's completely harmful!

I personally soak the wood in dechlorinated water in a bucket or tub before placing into my tank, I find that this eliminates the majority of the colour coming out.

I would just do a couple of water changes throughout the week until the dark colour is gone :)

im not going to use that driftwood even do my wife and daughter want it , if you see this tank lol is like sewer water so black , i have hole in the back of the tank connect it with a hose so empty it wouldnt be a big problem but i know is not a good idea

Use Purigen, it will take out the tannins. I have a large piece of driftwood and couldn't keep the water clear in till I used it.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1490041385750.jpg
    1490041385750.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 48
thanks buddy but i dont want the driftwood no more i just want the clear crystal water i was used to when had my tanks i knew this was a headache but wow i forget how big of a pain in the butt lol thank you. any other advicei will appreciateit

thanks buddy but i dont want the driftwood no more i just want the clear crystal water i was used to when had my tanks i knew this was a headache but wow i forget how big of a pain in the butt lol thank you. any other advicei will appreciateit

If you still want the natural look of wood, I would recommend using some Mopani Root wood! It looks lovely in the tank and doesn't give off half the amount of tannins that driftwood does!

Would still recommend soaking it before putting it in your tank but I really love the look of it :)

Those tannins will stay for awhile. It took a couple months for the water to stop looking discolored in my tank.

I have a 75 gallon tank it also has Driftwood but I boiled the Driftwood for several hours The water is crystal-clear

Back
Top Bottom