I prefer the tank to the telly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maccatatts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, my name is Martin and I'm from Cork Ireland.
I've been in the hobby for around 15 years or so, I haven't kept a huge variety of fish in the past, mostly cichlids, I've had a south American set up for 6 or 7 years and an African cichlid set up for around 8 years.
I've recently set up my 5x2x2 tank to be a planted tank and I must day I'm worryingly excited by it.
Its plant substrate, fluval 3.0 planted light, co2 kit being delivered next week.
Big canister filter, 300w heater and UV bulb.
Living inside are

19 rummy nose tetras

10 cherry barbs
3 black Venezuela corydoras

4 apple snails

1 snowball pleco

5 rainbow fish (red, blue and bosemani)

I hoping to get more rainbows and grow them out to see which type I prefer.
Oh I've a little betta tank too , thanks for reading,
Martin.

Hi everyone, my name is Martin and I'm from Cork Ireland.
I've been in the hobby for around 15 years or so, I haven't kept a huge variety of fish in the past, mostly cichlids, I've had a south American set up for 6 or 7 years and an African cichlid set up for around 8 years.
I've recently set up my 5x2x2 tank to be a planted tank and I must day I'm worryingly excited by it.
Its plant substrate, fluval 3.0 planted light, co2 kit being delivered next week.
Big canister filter, 300w heater and UV bulb.
Living inside are

19 rummy nose tetras

10 cherry barbs
3 black Venezuela corydoras

4 apple snails

1 snowball pleco

5 rainbow fish (red, blue and bosemani)

I hoping to get more rainbows and grow them out to see which type I prefer.
Oh I've a little betta tank too , thanks for reading,
Martin.

Hey Martin! Sounds like it's going to be a fun project! I'm excited to see how it comes along.

Regarding the Tank vs Telly in the title, I've been entranced watching the soap opera of Aquarium Politics, shoals interacting with rival groups, little fish tactics until they grow, Guppy Males horny for anything that "looks about right" clashing with Platy teenagers. Possibly some adolescent shrimp lurking around causing trouble too. I'd rather watch that than any TV show.

Ha. I hear ya Eddie. I had a mbuna set up, slightly over stocked, eventually it started to remind me of a jail cell, great entertainment.
Thanks Dallas, I'll send some soon, some before pics(co2 injection)
This is my first go at co2, hope I dont blow us up lol.

Idk what kind of plants your shooting for but and Anubias or ferns are great starter plants and do not need co2 or fertilizer. Just a halfway decent light and they flourish.

Cheers Fizzler, right now I have java fern, anubias, bacopa and a few others that are low light, they seem to be doing really well with plenty of new growth, my light is set lowish because I dont want to stress the plants and to prevent algae, if I add co2 I can add more of a variety of plants and also turn my light up, I think.

I'm new to the plants, welcome all advice, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom