I want to start a low-tech/Walstad 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kintyre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been struggling with keeping my freshwater tank going and have had one bad thing happen after another....I stumbled upon the Walstad method of creating a miniature eco-system and am fascinated!

I have been searching and searching looking for beginners' guides, etc., the For Dummies kind of thing of what are good plants to start with? I would like a good assortment that can thrive in a 10 gallon tank. I have an LED cover, heater, filter and I would so appreciate some advice here or links to good suppliers, etc. Love to know what the "magic numbers" are for the water....I adore angel fish and would like to have one or two, so what levels should I be striving for?

Once I can get the hang of it, I would love to upgrade the tank to a much bigger one.

Thanks!

I have been struggling with keeping my freshwater tank going and have had one bad thing happen after another....I stumbled upon the Walstad method of creating a miniature eco-system and am fascinated!

I have been searching and searching looking for beginners' guides, etc., the For Dummies kind of thing of what are good plants to start with? I would like a good assortment that can thrive in a 10 gallon tank. I have an LED cover, heater, filter and I would so appreciate some advice here or links to good suppliers, etc. Love to know what the "magic numbers" are for the water....I adore angel fish and would like to have one or two, so what levels should I be striving for?

Once I can get the hang of it, I would love to upgrade the tank to a much bigger one.

Thanks!

Angelfish are out of the question for a 10 gallon.

Dirted tanks are a simple way to have a planted tank.

Start with 1/2" - 3/4" of organic potting soil, capped with an inch gravel or sand and plant away.

Crypts, dwarf sagitteria, pearl weed are some good starting plants that should work with your lights. Do not add fish, let the soil rot away first, perform large water changes for 1-2 months, and then test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Lights 5 hours a day MAX for those first few months.

Hello Kin...

Small tanks don't give you the best chance for success. If you have the room, and you're just starting, I'd recommend a 40 gallon breeder tank. It's large enough for your to work with, but not too large that it takes up a lot of space. I've tried the Walstad method of tank keeping and found the dirt wasn't very easy to work with and the nutrients in the dirt were exhausted in just a few weeks. If you're into plants, I'd recommend reading the information from D Crosby Johnson. His tanks are very interesting.

B

There are lots of plants that grow well in plain gravel. Some I have had success with are Vals, Anubias, Java fern, Ecinodorus latifolius ( a type of chain sword), and a variety of Cryptocorynes. I have grown all of these in a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom