I'm a new member. Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kumi-Moor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm a new member and could use a pep talk. I've just started my first fish-less cycle and I am discouraged. I started out adding too much ammonia and had to do a large water change when I realized the ammonia was too high. I feel like I have wasted time and I am discouraged. I am cycling a 30 gallon tank so I can provide my Black Moor with a better home. He is currently in a too small tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Patience is definitely a virtue in the aquarium hobby. I also appreciate the adage that nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium. Give it time, keep reading up on it, don't get discouraged, and things will progress smoothly.

Hi, I'm a new member and could use a pep talk. I've just started my first fish-less cycle and I am discouraged. I started out adding too much ammonia and had to do a large water change when I realized the ammonia was too high. I feel like I have wasted time and I am discouraged. I am cycling a 30 gallon tank so I can provide my Black Moor with a better home. He is currently in a too small tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to AA!

If you have a smaller tank that is already cycled with a running filter then just add the smaller tanks filter into the new filter along with the other filter media. The new tank will be instantly cycled and you can add your black moor right in the tank! (As long as you do a complete water change to get rid of the ammonia)

Good choice of fish btw (y) A black moor was my very first fish too :D

I'm a new member-fishless cycle update

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Patience is definitely a virtue in the aquarium hobby. I also appreciate the adage that nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium. Give it time, keep reading up on it, don't get discouraged, and things will progress smoothly.

Hi,

Good news on the fish-less cycling front! At day 10 my ammonia is on the way down and nitrites on the way up. Yay. I thought I had screwed up. It even appears that some of the plants I thought I had fried with too much ammonia, are sprouting new growth.

How long did it take for you to cycle your first tank?

Kumi-Moor.

I'm a new member-fishless cycle update

Welcome to AA!

If you have a smaller tank that is already cycled with a running filter then just add the smaller tanks filter into the new filter along with the other filter media. The new tank will be instantly cycled and you can add your black moor right in the tank! (As long as you do a complete water change to get rid of the ammonia)

Good choice of fish btw (y) A black moor was my very first fish too :D

I have a 5 gallon tank that we got when Kumi was the size of my thumb. Being newbies, I had no idea that it was much too small. Kumi is growing at a staggering rate and I starting doing some reading and realized bigger was better as far as tank size goes. I have the space for a 30 gallon so that's what I bought. I guess if she grows huge, I will deal with it then. I did put a used filter into the new filter area and poured the sponge filter swishings every time I did a water change in the old tank. I've beed testing with the API fresh water test kit and the readings are starting to do what they are supposed to at day 10.

I've had some condition problems (algae) with the old tank that i am chalking up to being too little tank for too much fish and I hope they have not followed over.

My husband thinks I'm crazy so its nice to talk to some people with like minds.

Kumi-Moor

Hi,

Good news on the fish-less cycling front! At day 10 my ammonia is on the way down and nitrites on the way up. Yay. I thought I had screwed up. It even appears that some of the plants I thought I had fried with too much ammonia, are sprouting new growth.

How long did it take for you to cycle your first tank?

Kumi-Moor.

Plants actually enjoy ammonia quite a bit. It's more likely that they were just adjusting to your aquarium. What kind are they?

It took me about 2 weeks to cycle my 29g tank but I had some seeded material to use to help it along.

Plants actually enjoy ammonia quite a bit. It's more likely that they were just adjusting to your aquarium. What kind are they?

It took me about 2 weeks to cycle my 29g tank but I had some seeded material to use to help it along.

I'm not sure what kind of plant it is (newbie, and all). I wanted something tall and upright that the fish could easily swim around and wouldn't spread out. It has long thin blade like leaves and is very tall. it seems to be sending out a bloom of some sort on a long thin stem.

The aquarium people told me my system (Marineland with led hood) does not provide enough light but the next choice up in lights required very expensive lighting which I'm not ready to invest in. I thought I would give it a go and see what happened. I can always replace the plants as Kumi munches them.

Do you quarantine your plants before adding them? Or do a wash of some sort?

Kumi-Moor

I usually just rinse my plants in fresh water and call it good unless I know there are issues from the source tank.

It's sad that lights are soo expensive :( I've been waiting months to get a stronger light over my 55g planted tank.

If you post a pic of the plant someone should be able to help id it.

Back
Top Bottom