I'm a newbie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone I am about to take the dive into saltwater aquriums. I currently have a tank that is 36x12x19, I have looked up the size according to these dimensions and I believe it's a 38 gallon tank. Like the subject says I am new to this. I currently have 15 pounds of dead rock and tomorrow I plan on getting some Sand and some live rock and fill up my tank to start the cycling process. I am going to have a fish only tank to star however I would like to add coral later. I hope I can gain more knowledge and great advice from this forum.My first question is how much more rock do I need and can just a few pieces of live rock help my dead rock live?

Hello. For a 38g, I would get around 50lbs of rocks. You only need a small piece of live rock to seed your dead (base) rocks.

Happy researching.

Thanks everyone, for the reply, Thanks Terrance. I have been told about a pound of rock per gallon, however today I plan on getting the cycling process going. Also I will be posting pics of the process along the way. Now once I have my rocks in there , if I add rock later should I wait even longer before adding fish , because the new rock will take time to acclimate ?

Back
Top Bottom