I'm new and I rescued a fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrfishybetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Ok, so I'm not that new to fish (my dad kept a 50g for many years), but I'm new enough! So glad to have found such an active community here - as I have a ton of questions and love to learn!

About 1.5 months ago I rescued a betta from a coworker who was not taking good care of the fish. Funds were tight for me for a while, but over the past few weeks I've picked up some happy fish materials - bigger tank, heater, filter, etc. Right now I'm in the process of fishless cylcing his 5g, so I'm trying to be patient! Mr. Fishy is trucking along fairly well in his 1g temporary tank (kept to ambient room temp of 75F - not ideal, I know, but I only have the one heater).

Hoping to get some good advice about some of the issues I've been seeing with the cycle so far (10 days in). I'll sure I'll be making many posts! :)

Did you aquire any decorations or plants with your new betta? Welcome by the way!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He came with a plastic plant and a few rocks (not sure what they are, they are whitish and look like either marble or quartz). I bought him a new fabric plant and a leaf hammock. Those are in his 1g with him while the plastic plant I moved into the 5g (in hopes it would have even the smallest amount of bacteria attached to it). Thanks for your reply!

That's what I was going to recommend, maybe move the rocks too. I'd actually move everything to the new tank including the betta and do it fish in. Do you have a liquid test kit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have a liquid kit, yes. I did also move some of the rocks to the new tank, should have mentioned that, sorry. I opted away from fish-in due to the fact that Mr. Fishy is easily stressed! He is "trucking along" but isn't at 100%. The previous owner was awful, so Fishy is still in what I would consider to be recovery.

Welcome to AA! I'm glad your going to give a deserving fish a wonderful home!

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom