I'm new around here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If given the choice between using a normal Flourecent bulb or a UV bulb for your brackish aquariums

• Normal Flourecent Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UV light

• It depends on..... (Please specify bellow or PM me)

• I have no idea but still feel some dier need to participate in this poll

• Total voters

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello folks, I just thought I would say hi! I really don't feel like saying much about myself, fish OR aquarium in this thread as I plan on putting alot of work into a very descriptive aquarium "biography" at a later point. I will say this much, I bought my first 'large' aquarium about three months ago. The aquarium is 20g and came with all the standard equipment one needs such as the heater, power filter (organic/AC) and canopy. I absolutely love Bettas and currently have three of them living with my two sharks, 6 neon tetras, pleco and snail. Don't get the wrong idea, I don't favor them or anything :p Hmmm, what else to say.... I have one hell of a question that I would really like answered!! Maybe someone can give me a hand? :) I have a UV bulb that I was using for my Iguana (he recently passed away [R.I.P. Lecter :~( ] ) and I think the bulb is the same size as the one in my florecent canopy..... So as you may have guessed I am wondering, would a brackish quarium ultimately benifit or suffer from using a UV lamp as oppose to a normal florecent lamp? Please no mumbojumbo about HIDs, I already know all about them.

Thanks in advance everyone! I look forward to a long a fruitful membership here. If you guys treat me well, I will do the same. You have my word.

Oh yeah, I'm male 21 and from Canada :p (I'm actually American though!)... Well, Americanadian

Joe

Well, welcome to AA.

It wouldn't be a real UV though would it? Is it a black light?

Use the normal tubes for fw fish. I think the fish would look better with them. The other bulb would not do very much to help plants, if you go for them and may help promote algae.

The UV light I'm talking about is made for reptile habitats and is meant to give them the required amount of UV they need in order to metabolize their food. I figured since in the wild fish get UV from the sun then my fish might benefit from this bulb as it is more less a FL tube that gives off UV ;)

I could just be a complete idiot :p BUT, in any event, I want what's best for my fish.

Joe

Welcome. The reptile UV bulb would likely, depending ion the colour temp, give you a fair bit more algae growth than you will want....besides, why spend more for a herp tube when a normal aquarium tube will do better?

Toirtis said:
Welcome. The reptile UV bulb would likely, depending ion the colour temp, give you a fair bit more algae growth than you will want....besides, why spend more for a herp tube when a normal aquarium tube will do better?

I already have the UV tube, I am just trying to find a use for it :p I paid nearly 40$ CAD for it and would hate to see it go to waste but in the long run I will do what is best for my fish.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom