I'm not going to lie... At one point I was like OMG what have I started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953's_Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
hehe Same place a ziggy953 (Sumerduck, VA)
First, I want to go ahead and warn everyone that I am not by ANY means a good writer. Personally, I think they use WAY TOO MANY commas in the English Language. It’s something I’m working on so please bear with me on it.
About Me
I’m 25 years old, married to an almost perfect man (Allen- AKA Ziggy953, he’s on here as well) and we have a son (Zack) who will be 3 in Aug. 2008. We are all members of WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquarium Society) which is A LOT more fun than I had thought it would be when Allen signed us up. I’m a full time student working toward my Associates in Nursing. I plan to later get my BSN then become a Nurse Practitioner or Doctor (the DO kind, just like a regular Dr., but you go about it more like you would to get your PA or NP).
The Beginning of our Fish Adventure
It all began on our honeymoon (4 years ago in Sept.) when we bought a 55 gal Freshwater (FW) tank that was funded by the dollar dance from our wedding reception. LOL, not only was he my new husband but my pimp; for dances that is, don’t get the wrong Idea.
Soon, that 55 gal tank spread like wildfire into 14 FW tanks! We had tanks everywhere: the kitchen, the dining room, even our bedroom. Along with ALL the tanks, we had 3 dogs (big ones) and a bird. I was living in a Zoo and with a baby on the way too!
In Feb. of 2005 I was laid off from my job and we moved to Sumerduck, VA. A.K.A. DuckTown (where I grew up; That was a big bonus). But space in the new place was limited, so I told Allen he would have to limit the amount of fish tanks. Btw, our bird died. Note of advice, don’t keep them near a drafty window in the cold months.
The Saltwater Adventure
Once our son was about 5 or 6 months old, he fell in love with the Disney movie Nemo. At the time it was the only thing on TV that he would even pay attention to. Allen and I were talking about maybe doing a little SW tank with a Nemo in it for Zack. My dad overheard us talking about it and told us that since it was for Zack he would help fund the project for us, and figure out how to do it.
We bought a 72 gal. bowed front tank, and Allen built an AMAZING oak stand for it. We started with the sand and water of course, then added live rock one at a time (cause you know that stuff isn’t cheap). After having everything set up for a while, we started getting a few fish. Damsels, because we heard they were the best to start with even if you didn’t plan on keeping them. Which we didn’t, except for the Blue Velvet Damsel my In-Laws got for us when they came for a visit one time. Mr. Blue Velvet is a real mean sucker, so he started the expansion of the SW world I now live in. The next addition to the SW world came about because some of our corals were starting to get too big for the 72 gal tank. So, we started a 55 gal frag tank and now we sell/trade the frags from there.

Our Current Adventure
We are in the process of upgrading to a 4 foot, 120 gal tank which was suppose to be a 4 foot, 150 gal. tank. However, there was a mishap with the 150 gal. which you can read all about on my husband’s thread. It’s a really good one with pics, and some valuable lessions we have learned, and are learning on the way. Just click the link in my signature.

Well, I think that’s enough about me for now. If you would like to know the specifics of our system, just let me know, and I’ll find it out. Although we have been in the Tank business for a few years now, I’m just now to the point where I want to know all the specifics rather than just point and say “That’s pretty…”

Welcome to the site! I expect you will be joining us for the next LFS trip?

welcome welcome... i find myself checking your husbands thread about 30 times a day... its compelling... i myself am getting the same 150 gal tank in a few months... however i hope and pray i dont experience the hardships you guys have...

Welcome to the site! I expect you will be joining us for the next LFS trip?

I'm guessing with this comment that you live close to us? Where... I tried to see if I could see that on your profile thing but you know with me being a Newbie and all. MySpace & Facebook totally got the hang of that but this is very different.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I wish there was a dummy guide to Aquarium Advice. LOL, I know I'm driving Allen nuts with all the questions!

Oh Cogburn... I REALLY Hope you never wake up to gallons of water all over your floor (and "The Smell" UGH!). I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

WHOO I think we are about to start draining the FW out of the new tank (did it to test it; FW ALOT CHEAPER than SW) and start putting sand and SW in....

I love BRK (Blue Ribbon Koi, for those who don't know)! John is SO great and OZZY is a trip and a half!

LOL, when we were there last Saturday I fell in love with this one coral (Chips Acro) but it was on the $100 shelf so well that was just a bit out of the price rage at least for that field trip. When we were getting all checked out John said to Allen "What about the coral your wife likes so much?" And Allen just laughed and said not today. :-(

But Allen went back in the store for another diamond bit and got me a smaller frag of the Chips Acro! GO SUPERHUBBY!!!!!

My favorite corals are Ricordias, Monti Caps and Most Acros. I'm a REALLY big FAN of corals that have really bright almost neon green color and of course pinks are great too. ;-)

since i am a new member too, i do not know if i am still a guest or a member,

if i'm a member i wish you a warm welcome, and i hope your couple passion never goes low. (fish AND love)

if i'm not a full member .... well ... pretty much same LOL

if i'm a member i wish you a warm welcome, and i hope your couple passion never goes low. (fish AND love)

I believe you are a full member.

LOL thanks. My first passion is my family the fish passion came from the love for my husband. :D

Welcome, Ziggy's wife! :) It's great that you two can share the hobby. My husband likes my fish a little bit but he's not into the hobby. He asked me the other day which fish is on the left (I have two betta tanks). I said to him that he had better know their names or he's gonna be in big trouble! :wink:

Welcome, Ziggy's wife! :) It's great that you two can share the hobby. My husband likes my fish a little bit but he's not into the hobby. He asked me the other day which fish is on the left (I have two betta tanks). I said to him that he had better know their names or he's gonna be in big trouble! :wink:

LOL, we don't name our fish well one has a name but that's it ~ oh know well if more of them have names I don't know them... Bad Wife, LOL!

I have been on a roller coaster with the whole fish thing I was into it at the beginning but then they took OVER my house. Then the SW came and I was into that Then it TOOK OVER. And I went through a stage that I've been calling my husband's affair with the Fish where I almost hated all of it. But I guess since Feb of this year I just figured that I could either be ugly about it or I could start getting into with him. So like they say if you can't beat them join them! And if it's something that he really enjoys then I should do my part and support it, Plus he's REALLY Supportive of me going back to school... LOL, and now the fish thing is starting to take over me (LOL WHO KNEW?).

Well my dear the fish do have names I just don't speak fish so I can't ask them what they are....JK

The only one I have really named is the CBB - Bandit Other than that they are all just "fish" well other then the 4 Nemos we have.

NO YOUR WRONG! :p We have 3 "Nemos" and 1 called Speckles!

So I guess we have a totally of 5 that have names...
Nemo 1
Nemo 2
Nemo 3
Bandit
Speckles

We did have a Powder Brown Tang (I think that's what she was) called Lily but we lost her this week :-(

Other than that all the others are called fish.

LOL...No we got her a brand new laptop for school and it's wireless she sits in the living room and I'm on the hall computer, plus we have another computer in the bedroom. Wireless networks are GREAT!

Back
Top Bottom